Chapter Thirteen, Part Three - Power and Control

After Graham and Nicholias returned me to the manor, I bumped into Emily in the foyer. Despite last night's fireworks, she still had the energy for a smile. After Finn's escapade, I thought for sure I'd wake up in Emily's garden.

"Hi!" I gazed about the foyer with doe-eyed innocence, just in case she had men in black suits at the ready. "I didn't really get the chance to apologize last night. I'm sorry, Emily, really. If I had any idea what Finn had planned I never would've invited him--"

"Water beneath the bridge, darling. You have nothing to apologize for. My husband killed someone, for that there will always be unseen repercussions. However, when it comes to our fate and that of a stranger's, we will always choose each other--that's what families do." Emily smiled. "But there is some good in this. Graham says you've managed the impossible, that we'll have the diary by midnight. That's excellent news."

"Yeah, it's... awesome." I bit my lip. "Um, so, does-does that mean that maybe I can go home now? It's just, I have a roommate--and a life. It kinda feels like I've left it all behind."

Emily's eyes flashed as she inhaled, but that sweet smile never faltered. "That we shall discuss--later. In the meantime, we're having a special meal this evening--wear something pretty to dinner. And Nicholias is coming home, so you may want to tidy your room..." 

I should have been overjoyed, but thoughts of Nicholias were dampened by thoughts of someone else, someone who needed me more. "Uh, could I invite a friend to dinner? They're important to me, and... I'd like you to get to know them." My heart did backflips as I waited for Emily to trust me. So far, I had jumped through every hoop the Dixons set before me. I deserved this.

"Dinner is at seven. Ensure your friend is not late. We're having Italian." Emily took her leave, her Prada heels clicking sharply against the spotless marble floor. I stared after her, rubbing my chest to keep my heart from breaking free. Is her generosity a bribe or actual good will? Whatever her kindness was, it involved Nicholias, so I would take it either way.

"And what are you so happy about it?" Antonia looked down on me from the top of the marble stairs, one hand gripping the pair of grey Beats slung about her neck.

"Haven't you heard? I perform miracles! Get in line now and for a limited time you can have yours for free!"

"I'd rather have an enema." She began to descend the stairs, one hand skimming the golden rail as her runway legs took the steps one at a time. "And if I were you, I'd also get a bus ticket, maybe a new identity, just for fun."

"And why's that?" I folded my arms across my chest, reminding myself to take it easy on her, this was Nick's sister.

"Um, because I'm pretty certain Reid Parker is going to destroy you--his words, not mine." She fiddled with her headphones in ho-hum boredom, like delivering bad news was just another day on the gig.

"Reid?" I frowned, mentally scanning the list of R's I had ever smashed or stolen from... Nothing. "Well that guy can blow me--who the fuck is Reid Parker?"

"Reid is Graham's best friend, and I happen to be best frenemies with his sister. She told me he's been asking a lot of questions about you, and, y'know, like, muttering your name in his sleep in this really sinister way. If only rich people believed in medication, right?"

"Right." I frowned. "I still don't get why he hates me."

Antonia gave a one-armed shrug. "Who knows? Maybe it has something to do with that fight between Graham and Reid. They were best friends up until Graham found out Reid was banging his wife. Really though, I'm surprised G's surprised. I mean, you can turn a crazy slut into a housewife, but at the end of the day she'll still be a slut. And crazy." We snorted. "Anyway, Graham found about it and laid Reid out in the middle of Diesel's softball game. Reid was coaching the other team. They had to forfeit. It was kinda rad, actually." She began to walk away, yet this question burned me from the inside, almost as much as the need to get to Reid before he got to me.