Chapter 1

A/N: This story is not just meant for fans of the TV show Supernatural. While it was made with the intention entertaining SPN fans, because this is a parallel universe, I'll be explaining things as I go, so even if you don't watch the show, it will make sense. You may miss a few references, but every important thing will be explained. If you have questions on a part, comment and I'll explain it to you!

"See you in a few weeks!"
Sam and Dean Winchester wave at their father as he drives off, leaving them alone in the motel they now call home. They're used to it by now; they've been hopping from motel to motel ever since the fire that consumed their mother over 15 years ago. Now Sam is 16 and Dean is 18, and they've been traveling the country for what Dean would call a long-ass time.
Sam and Dean are hunters, same as their dad. No, they don't go around and shoot Bambi. They kill monsters. No, they don't kill politicians; they kill real monsters. The number of vampires they've beheaded and demons they've exorcised would scar any other child for life, but it's how they were raised, and they don't know anything different.
The boys have never liked hopping from place to place. Dean would rather be on the front lines with his dad. Killing things has always been his passion. Sam would rather stay in one place, go to one school, and have one group of friends. Sure, he loves his brother, but that's the only friend he has, and Sam longs for more. If only he had been like Dean. Dean has always been the loud one; the one that makes friends easily and picks up girls everywhere. He gets in trouble and he picks fights, and everyone loves it. Sam is that kid that sits in the back of the classroom, always getting perfect grades but never saying anything. After all, what is there for him to talk about? His entire life has been about killing things that shouldn't even exist, and that probably wouldn't make him many friends.
Even though they don't love the life, they embrace it, knowing they're lucky to have any life at all. They could be like their mother, burned from the ceiling because of a demon. They've yet to catch it, but one day, this yellow-eyed son of a bitch is going down.
Their father leaves them alone a lot, and has ever since they were young. It's always been Dean's job to look after Sam, ever since his father put his baby brother in his arms and told him to take Sammy outside as fast as he could. When John leaves for long hunting trips like this, Dean knows he has to keep his brother safe, but more than that, he wants his brother to be happy.
"Yo, Sammy, what do you want to do?" Dean asks as soon as their father is out of sight, hoping to prevent his brother from being as bored as he is.
"I don't know," he says glumly.
"Hey, cheer up, kid!" Dean says with a grin. "Dad'll be home in a few weeks, and until then, we can do whatever we want!" He says this every time their father leaves, and it's become meaningless. Where's the fun in doing whatever you want if you can do whatever you want all the time?
"Why couldn't Dad take us with him?" Sam asks his older brother. "It's just a vampire nest! We've killed vampires before!"
"Because he didn't want us missing so much school," Dean reminds him. "You're going to be the smartest hunter there is by the time you're my age."
Although Dean tries to cast his father in a good light, he has to agree with Sam. It's ridiculous not to let them take on a vampire nest. They kill vampires all the time. Obviously, one nest wouldn't take take the few weeks he's said he may be gone for, so there must be something else out there, but what would he not let them fight? Maybe he thinks it's a lead on Yellow Eyes. If it is, they'll want to know immediately. If not, John wouldn't want to get their hopes up. After all, that demon is the reason they started hunting. It is the first supernatural creature they encountered, and it will go down. It has always been their mission, and they will stop at nothing to kill it.
"Smarter than you?" Sam asks hopefully.
Dean laughs. "No one is smarter than me, Sammy boy."
"It's Sam!" he corrects his brother. Dean was wondering when he was going to do that. After he ignored it the first time, Dean was getting sort of worried. Sam hates being called "Sammy." It's exactly why Dean calls him that. For Sam not to comment on it was strange. He must just be upset they're stuck there for another few weeks. Dean knows the feeling. He loves making friends-and girlfriends-but after a week or two, it gets old. He wishes they could either stay still or keep leaving, because the longer the temporary residence is, the less fun it becomes. After all, you can't make lasting bonds as a hunter, because as every hunter knows, you're going to have to break them.
"So, Sam," Dean says, emphasizing his use of the correct name, "want to go get some food?"
"I'm assuming this means pie, right?"
Dean nods. "Ah, you know me so well." He grabs his jacket be gestures for Sam to follow, not letting him decide for himself. "Come on, Sam, let's go get some pie!"
They head out to their car. It's an old car, and it's been in the family for year. This '67 Chevy Impala has been their home for when they didn't have another. Dean and John have rebuilt this baby so many times, and every time they think it may be dead, they manage to get it back up and running. Every time, they think it will be the last time, and every time they're wrong. The Impala will always come back. She's basically part of the family.
The boys get their food and return to their temporary home in the motel, but even as Dean is mentally cheering for his pie, Sam seems sad. Dean tries to cheer him up with s piece of his pie, something he would never do for anyone but Sam. Still, Sam is upset, and Dean can't ignore it.
"Hey, Sammy, what's up?"
Sam looks up from his plate, which he's been staring at since he got it. Even now that it's empty, he's been worshipping it like a god.
"Do we have to go to school tomorrow?" Sam asks, obviously hoping he doesn't.
Dean wishes he would say "no," but that's one thing their dad stressed. School is important, and they have to go, even if they end up leaving right after. Dean never understood why, seeing as they'll both be hunters for the rest of their lives, no matter how long or short they are. School isn't going to help them when they're battling a werewolf; practice is. Still, Dean doesn't question it. If John says so, there must be a reason. He's never wrong.
"Of course we do, Sam," Dean says. "I thought you liked school!"
Sam frowns. "This is the fourth school I've been to, and it's only October. I'm a freshman now. I can't keep up my grades if I'm in different classes every school."
Dean knows what he's talking about. Dean himself was never much for the school life, but even he realized the problem when he was in Sam's shoes. He didn't mention it, since he didn't mind failing school anyway, but with Sam I know it will be different.
"Just, uh... Take classes you know you'll be good at!" Dean says, not really sure what other advise to give his brother. "Like reading! You know, they read a lot of old books like the Odyssey but you read books way older than that. Wow everyone by knowing exactly what it says. And Latin! You're good at Latin! You should take that too!"
"What's the point of going to school if I already know what I'm supposed to be learning?"
Dean frowns. He usually has all the answers when Sam asks him questions, but when it comes to school, he has no idea. Dean knows his future is as a hunter. That's the only future he's ever had, and if he hadn't been a hunter, he'd be stuck wiping floors for McDonald's. School isn't his strongest area, so he decided to ignore it completely. He goes to please his dad, but John never checks up on how they're doing, so Dean never had to do well.
"Because it makes Dad happy," Dean responds finally, "and if Dad isn't happy, no one is happy."
Sam rolls his eyes. Dean isn't surprised. He knows Sam doesn't think of John the same way. To Dean, John is his master, a drill sergeant, and a leader. To Sam, he just represents everything wrong with the family. John isn't openly the most loving father, but Dean knows he loves his kids. He's just upset because of what happened to his wife, he same way Dean is upset over what happened to his mother. Sam, being six months old at the time, doesn't quite understand it. He didn't know Mary Winchester, and as much as he longs for his mother and to avenge her death, it will never be the same as it is for Dean and his father.
"Hey, wanna watch a movie?" Dean asks, hoping to shift the subject away from the dreadful topic of starting school again tomorrow.
"Ooh, which one?" Sam asks, suddenly very alert.
"Hmmm... I was thinking Twilight!"
Sam makes a disgusted face. "Ew, no way! Twilight is gross!"
Dean laughs. "Alright, buddy. How about... Friday the Thirteenth?"
Sam nods energetically. "Yeah, I love that movie!"
Dean grins. He's always loved making his brother happy. Watching Sam right now, Dean knows he's don't good with the kid. He may still be in high school, but he's basically raised the kid in his own for years. As much as he's had to sacrifice, seeing Sam's smile makes it all worth it.