Chapter 15

The four remaining angels decide to stick with the Winchesters to help them save Sam. Even though they've just met, they'd hate to leave Sam when they could be extremely important, depending on the situation they're in. Chuck is hesitant to let them go, but Amara tells him to let them live their own lives. Keeping them cooped up in the house to make sure they don't leave like Lucifer won't help anyone. Maybe they should go, anyway; experimenting with their powers and new identities would probably be best where they can't explode the house.
"Sorry for almost shooting you," Dean apologizes to Gabriel as they leave the house.
"Ah, don't worry about it," he replies. "Wouldn't have done much anyway."
""I still can't get over the fact that you're a hunter," Anna tells Dean. "Like, you hunt demons for a living?"
"No, we hunt demons as a hobby. We make fake credit cards for a living," Dean admits.
The Angels decide to zap themselves back to Sam and Dean's motel room, and Sam joins them, but Dean refuses to leave his Impala.
"I've got to agree with Anna." Gabriel tells Sam as they go sit on the couch together. "You kill demons? You?"
"What's the supposed to mean?" Sam asks, mock offended.
"It's just... You don't seem like the type to want to kill things."
Sam shrugs. "I don't really have a choice, ya know? Saving people, hunting things. The family business."
"That sounds like a slogan for a company." Gabriel imitates a commercial narrator's voice. "'Have a demon problem? Call the Winchesters! Saving people, hunting things, the family business! Call today!'"
Sam laughs. "It's not just demons, but yeah, that's basically my life in a nutshell."
"Well, apparently it's mine, too," Gabriel says with a smile, "so as of a few minutes ago, I can relate."
"If we apparently do the same thing, we might as well do it together, right?" Sam suggests. He decided when he met Gabriel that he didn't want to leave his new friend, so knowing Gabriel also hunts, though not in exactly the same way, gives him hope.
Gabriel grins. "I'd like that," he agrees.
Despite everything that's happening right now, Sam can't help but smile. He gets to stay with his best-and only-friend, and he doesn't have to keep anything from him. He's never been able to tell anyone he's a hunter, but Gabriel is an angel, so it doesn't matter.
"You said you don't really have a choice in hunting," Gabriel recalls. "What would you do if you weren't a hunter?"
Sam hadn't meant to say that, and when Gabriel didn't mention it immediately, Sam had thought he was safe, and it wouldn't be brought up. He has to hunt; it's part of being a Winchester. He knows he doesn't really have a choice, because the only way out of hunting is death, so he doesn't like to think about how much better life could have been for him if he was never dragged into this. Still, it has crossed his mind before.
"I'd probably go to law school," Sam tells him. "Become a lawyer, get married, have kids. Just be a normal person."
Gabriel nods thoughtfully. "I'm sure you'd make a great lawyer," he agrees.
"How about you?" Sam asks. "What were you planning on doing?"
Gabriel shrugs. "I didn't really think that far ahead, honestly." He thinks for a moment, then says, "I would have liked to be one of those people that pranks people on tv. Like, throwing people into the middle of a fake crime scene like in a police show, with those douchey people that wear sunglasses at night. That would have been great!"
Sam laughs. "I would definitely watch that."
Gabriel smiles proudly. "You know, I could still do that, probably. It would be way better, though, because I've got awesome powers."
"You should do that!" Sam agrees enthusiastically. "That would be the best thing ever!"
They spend the next few minutes chatting about what funny things Gabriel could do to people with his newfound powers. They come up with some great ideas, like an alligator in the sewers or slow dancing aliens, until Dean finally gets back to the motel.
"Hope you guys didn't have too much fun without me," Dean says as he enters the room, trying to lighten the mood. With the exception of Sam and Gabriel, everyone has been quiet since they got back.
"We didn't," Castiel assures him. "We really didn't."
"It was a joke," Dean says. "Because no one is-never mind," he trails off, realizing Castiel doesn't quite get humor the way he does. It doesn't bother Dean at all. Dean will crack jokes whether people will understand them or not. It's just what he does.
"So, what are we going to do?" Anna asks him, for some reason acknowledging him as a leader instead of any of the angels that are clearly more qualified than him. They must have been involved in these kinds of things before. Why don't they take charge?
"I don't know," Dean admits. "We just wait here and make sure Sam never leaves our sight, I guess."
Sam frowns at that, clearly not wanting to be babysat. Dean feels bad for the kid. He knows Sam can handle himself with a lot of things, but he's not sure about this. What if the demon comes while he's asleep, or when his back is turned? What if he can't save himself? Dean can't let that happen. He won't take any chances with his little brother. There are six of them here; there are definitely enough people for someone to always be with him.
"But what will that accomplish?" Michael asks. "We won't get anywhere on defense. Even if someone always watches him, we'll still always have this threat looming over us."
"Then what do you suggest?" Dean demands. "What, we let him get taken?"
Michael shakes his head. "No," he replies quickly. "I just don't think that's the best course of action. For now, sure, but that can't be our permanent plan."
"Well, if you have a better idea, then please enlighten us," Dean says, probably a lot harsher than he should have.
"I'm just saying, maybe we should try to think of a new plan," Michael replies calmly. "Still protect Sam if we can, but it won't be enough."
"He's right," Anna agrees. "We can't just protect him. It won't last forever."
After a moment of hesitation at admitting he may have missed something on his plan, he nods once. "Alright. But someone always has to be with Sam."
Unfortunately, that doesn't work out too well.

Dun dun dunnnnnn... What happened? I don't know! Oh wait, yes I do, and you will too if you keep reading! *wink wink nudge nudge*