Chapter 7

During fourth block, everyone is called down to the gymnasium for a pep rally. Apparently, everyone had been waiting for it all day, though Sam doesn't know why. What's a pep rally, anyway? Why do people want to go? What do you do? Do you have to do anything?
He doesn't realize until he's in the gym that he lost Anna. He just got pushed around by the crowd, and it must have caused him to drift away from the one person he knew. He looks around the gym, feeling incredibly short next to the seniors. Finally, he finds Gabriel at the top of the bleachers, chatting excitedly with the boy next to him. Sam walks up to join them, hoping he'll be welcome. Gabriel wouldn't kick him out, but would he want Sam there?
The question is resolved when he stands up and starts waving his arms, calling out Sam's name. Sam waves to show he noticed the boy, who stops waving and shouting but remains standing until Sam gets up with him. Gabriel sits down and pats the seat next to him, and Sam joins him on the bench, sitting on the side of Gabriel the other boy isn't.
"Before I forget, Sam, this is my brother Michael, and Michael, this is my friend Sam," Gabriel introduces.
"Hey," Sam says, giving Michael a small wave. Michael greets Sam with a small smile. So this is Michael, the super-smart older brother he's heard so much about. Sam thought he'd be taller.
Sam can't help but focus on the one word of Gabriel's introduction that he's never been called before. "Friend." Sam's someone's friend. It may seem like a minuscule accomplishment to many, but it's a first for Sam. Just hearing the word brightens his day.
"So, what do we do at a pep rally?" Sam asks.
"You've never been to a pep rally?" Gabriel says in shock.
Sam shakes his head. "I don't think any of my schools have had pep rallies." Either that, or he'd moved away before he could go to one.
"Alright, you're not going to sit out of your first pep rally," Gabriel declares, grabbing Sam's hand and pulling him to the bottom row of the bleachers. He gestures with his head for Michael to follow, which he does. "Lucifer made me do something in my first pep rally, and since Dean isn't here to make you, I will."
"I'm so confused right now," Sam admits with a nervous chuckle.
"Basically, people volunteer to do sports and everyone laughs at people as they fail," Gabriel tells him. "So, I'll suggest a sport for you. You should do basketball!" Gabriel grins, clearly not thinking Sam will be any good at that.
"Alright, why not?" Sam replies. It's far from his first time doing sports. He and Dean have played a lot of different games, and every time they play basketball, Dean does way better. Of course, he fakes a few failures so Sam doesn't feel bad, but it's obvious he would win in a real game. It would be nice to play real basketball for once.
After a long talk about how awesome the students have been and all the fun clubs they should join (it's October. Isn't it a bit late for that?) they start the games. First up is basketball, and the basketball team comes out. Sam guesses it's the normal kids against the teams, and Sam is happy to join. Fortunately, not a whole lot of people want to play basketball, so Sam's chosen as one of the first players. Gabriel mouths "good luck" as Sam heads out to the floor, taking his position in the front. He's not paying any attention to what's going on around him, and when he hears Dean's voice, he jumps.
"Heya, Sammy!"
Sam looks up at his brother. One day he'll be taller than Dean, and it will be Dean that has to look up to him.
"It's Sam!" Sam shouts up to him, because it's too loud to talk normally.
"Yeah, yeah, Sam," Dean replies.
"Where were you?" Sam asks. "I looked for you when I came in but I didn't see you."
"I was sitting with Lucifer up there." Dean points to the farthest area from the door, and sure enough, Lucifer is sitting there. He waves to the boys, and Dean waves back. Sam just turns to his brother again. Something about Lucifer just doesn't sit right with him.
"I was sitting with Gabriel and Michael," Sam tells Dean. "Gabriel dragged me into this."
Dean laughs. "Must run in the family, because Lucifer made me do this, too. Figured I'd pick the first sport and get it over with."
"Gabriel said Lucifer told him to join his first pep rally, too. That's why Gabriel made me. Since you weren't there to force me to."
"So, really, the only person we have to blame is Lucifer," Dean says.
Sam chuckles. "I guess so. Hey, how cool is it that we finally get to play on the same team?"
Dean grins. "I can't believe it took us 14 years to finally find an opponent."
"And it's the basketball team, so they actually know how to play!" Sam adds.
"Which will make our victory even sweeter."
They share a quick grin as the game begins, and within twenty seconds, Dean has the ball and within thirty, he's already gotten it in the basket. Sam gives his older brother a fist bump, and they start the next round.
By the end of the five minute game, Sam had gotten three baskets and Dean had five, and they were the only two that made any in at all. They share a high five before heading in opposite directions, back to their friends. Gabriel doesn't bother to hide the shock from his face as Sam sits down next to him.
"Huh-But-And-How?" Gabriel finally says.
"It's not my first game of basketball," Sam replies.
"Clearly! You're so good!"
Sam laughs at his friend's awed expression. It's nice to be spoken to like he's the cool one for once. Usually it was Dean that got all the praise, but now Sam gets a dose of the spotlight as well.
"Thanks," Sam says.
"Alright, you are playing every single game there is today!" Gabriel decides.
"No way!" Sam protests. "I didn't even want to do the one!"
"But imagine what people would say if you were the hero of every game!"
"How about, 'Look at that new kid, he's such a show off'?" Sam suggests, saying the quote in an obnoxious tone to imitate the rest of the school.
Gabriel laughs. "Yeah, true. Besides, we should talk. It's been way too long since lunch."
Sam can't help but smile. If this is friendship, he definitely likes it.

Lucifer knows as soon as he sees Sam chosen for basketball he would lose Dean. As much as he likes to tell himself Dean likes him, he knows Sam will always come first in his mind. After watching them together on the field, Lucifer's surprised Dean doesn't sit with his brother instead, He goes to his seat next to Lucifer, who's happier than he should be to have the boy with him. He just met Dean, there's no reason to try to jump into a friendship with him.
"I'm back!" Dean greets Lucifer happily, sitting next to him.
"Good job down there," Lucifer says. "You and Sam work great together."
Dean smiles proudly. "Thanks! Sammy and I have been playing sports against each other since he could walk, so we know how the other plays."
"Cool," he says. He never got to play sports with his siblings. They were never into athletics. Even Gabriel, the most hyper of them all, hated the idea of doing any organized activity with his excessive energy. Lucifer mentioned it to him once when they were younger, but he turned it down like he was being offered a plate of spinach, and Lucifer never mentioned it again.
"They're doing soccer now," Dean observes. "Wanna go down with me and see if we can?"
Lucifer hesitates. It's what he always hoped for when he was young, but he has a reputation for being the fiercest in school, and losing a soccer game would look bad for him, even against the soccer team.
"Nah," he replies. "I did my time when I was a freshman. And I rocked it, by the way." He really did rock it. He's always had a strong arm and high pain threshold, so the throwing and tackling of football was no problem for him. His team lost, but he did pretty good himself.
"I'm sure you did," Dean says, not sarcastically like most people would say it. "You seem like the sporty type."
Lucifer shrugs. Why does he seem sporty? He doesn't do sports. Sure, he's got muscles, but that doesn't necessarily mean sports. Still, he doesn't feel compelled to correct Dean. If Dean wants to think he's good at sports, why not let him? It's not like Lucifer knows any different.