Chapter 10

The next day at school, Sam goes straight to his class, leaving Dean behind. Probably to find Gabriel, Dean decides. He's in no rush to get to his class, so he wanders the halls until he finds Anna. He approaches her, a confident smile on his face.
"Hey, Anna," he says.
Anna smiles back. "Dean! I was hoping I'd find you!"
"Oh, yeah?"
She nods enthusiastically. "It gets so boring out here alone. I was hoping you'd chat me out of my boredom."
Dean grins proudly. He's only known her a day, and she's already wishing he was there. Granted, he'd hooked up with girls in less, but Anna doesn't seem like the kind of girl to throw it all away quickly. She'd change her mind soon, Dean assures himself. They always do.
They chat for a good ten minutes, but Anna ignores all his best lines. He's tried every move in the book, short of the "Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven, because you've got the face of an angel" line. He's not that cheesy. Finally, Anna tells him they should go because class is about to start, and though Dean tries to convince her otherwise, she's determined not to miss class. Disappointed, he makes his way to class and takes a seat next to Castiel, which are the only seats left once again.
"Hey, Cas," Dean greets him.
"Hi," Castiel replies. At least he's talking.
"How are you?" Dean asks, hoping that he'll get a longer answer and actually be able to start a conversation again.
"Fine."
Or not. Dean searches his mind for something more to say. He basically asked Castiel everything yesterday. There's nothing left to say that hast been said before. Dean almost decides to forget it and just sit in silence, but the class is so long, that doesn't seem like the best idea. Being social isn't very easy when you're trying to be social with someone that isn't very social, you know?
"How are you?" Castiel asks finally.
Wow. Dean wasn't expecting that. Castiel hasn't ever said anything without being asked, as far as Dean's seen. Now time to show him how to actually answer that question if you have nothing else to talk about-by bringing up something that happened.
"Awesome," Dean replies. "Sam and I went to Dunkin' Donuts this morning and got some donuts." He doesn't feel the need to add that he got the money for it by committing credit card fraud. Some things are better left unsaid.
"Fun," Castiel says. Then, continuing to surprise Dean with his newfound ability to talk, continues, "What type of donuts did you get?"
"Well, I wanted chocolate glazed donuts, but there were none, so we compromised by getting chocolate frosted and honey glazed donuts. It wasn't quite the same, though."
Castiel nods. "Well, no, it wouldn't be."
"What's your favorite kind of donut?" Dean asks. He still can't believe he's talking about donuts, but whatever works.
"I'm not sure," Castiel says. "I haven't had a donut in a while."
How can he have gone so long without donuts that he doesn't remember which is his favorite? Sure, Sam and Dean can go a while without eating a specific type of food, but at least they remember it. Clearly Castiel has gone too long without donuts.
"Well, someone needs to take a trip to Dunks and get a whole bunch of donuts," Dean says.
"Maybe I will," Castiel says, though Dean doubts it by his voice. It doesn't matter to Dean if he really does, as long as he's willing to talk about it for another hour until class's is out.

Is that how this works? Castiel finds himself wondering this as he leaves his first block. Is that how people talk? Did he do it right? Should he have done something completely different? Should he not have said anything at all? Did Dean even want to talk to him, or was he just being polite? Wow, this social thing is really hard. Maybe it's a good thing Castiel didn't try this sooner.
Castiel purposely takes a different route to his next class, making sure it doesn't seem like he's following Dean. He goes through a different hallway than usual, but he knows the school inside and out, so getting to class won't be an issue for him. It'll take a few seconds longer, but not enough to make a big difference. He just doesn't want to go by Lucifer's room again. Instead, he walks through the hallway next to it, hoping to be left alone by his older brother.
Technically, it worked, but not completely. As he's walking, lost in thought over Dean and their (possible) conversation from the previous class, Michael waves at him. Castiel hadn't noticed Michael walking by, and when he does, his brother is already past him. Great. Now he seems like a jerk to Michael. Really, life was better when he was alone all the time.

Sam had never been happier to be in school. Not only is he passing class with flying colors (it's only his second day, but picking up in the middle of a class should not be so easy) but he gets to have fun while doing it. Sam gets to class right as Gabriel does, so they enter the room already laughing together. Sam notices the rest of the students roll their eyes, but he doesn't care. As long as he's got Gabriel with him, what the others think about him doesn't matter.
"Okay, so, yesterday, I got home and I realized I was all out of candy," Gabriel tells Sam as they sit down in the back of the room. "So I told Lucifer to drive me to the store to pick up some more, since I was too tired to drive myself, since I didn't have any candy, ya know? Anyway, he wouldn't, so I started singing 'Carry on my Wayward Son' at the top of my lungs right outside his door and I was literally there for ten minutes, singing it over and over. Then, Anna, who didn't even know what I was doing, came over and started singing it too, just to annoy Lucifer, and we were screaming so loud, the neighbors came over and asked us if we had kidnaped another animal, that's how bad we were at singing."
Sam laughs. This is what he's always wanted; both the friendship he has now with Gabriel and the relationship he has with his siblings and their crazy antics. With John around, Sam could never do that kind of thing, and because they move so much, attachments have always been discouraged. Still, this is what he wishes he'd had his whole life.
"Thats awesome!" Sam exclaims, still laughing. He doesn't care that he's being loud; so is Gabriel. They can be loud together. "Did he get you candy?"
Gabriel shakes his head. "No, but Michael felt bad and he took me. Well, maybe he was congratulating me on being a horrible singer and an annoying little brother, but either way, I scored, like, three huge bags of candy. Gotta love Halloween time, right?"
Sam can't really agree to that. A lot of rituals have to take place on Halloween, so it's never been a fun day like it was for everyone else. He's never even been trick or treating, because his dad didn't want him out in that day, and Dean wouldn't ignore that rule. Luckily, Dean wasn't so harsh that he'd make Sam skip all the fun from the day, so through the entire month of October Dean would make sure they had a giant candy stash, and on November first, he'd buy out all the candy on sale at a store, which could sometimes last all year. John never found it about it, but Sam's sure that if he had, they wouldn't have been able to keep it.
"How 'bout you?" Gabriel asks. "What fun things did you and Dean do last night?"
They really didn't do anything fun. Once again, John manages to ruin their fun, and he wasn't even there. It was his stupid sign he wanted them to translate. Well, they looked at every language they could find, and it wasn't anything recorded, past or present. It's some type of language developed by something that isn't human they decided, though they couldn't figure out what. That basically sucked up their night, unfortunately.
"Well, we got McDonald's," Sam says. It wasn't a super nice family dinner type thing because they were working on John's project for them, but at least he got his fries.
"I love McDonald's!" Gabriel tells him, enthusiastic as always. "Oh, once, we went to McDonald's, and we got home and they didn't give us one of the chicken nuggets, so Anna and Lucifer had an all-out war about who would get the only one they gave us, since they were the only two that got them, so Amara took it and threw it out the window and it was hilarious."
Sam laughs. He has the best stories. His family is probably the example of the perfect one. Even if they don't always get along-and clearly they don't-they're still always together. Sam never got that. Besides, they're hilarious to hear about.
"What did they do when she threw it out?" Sam asks.
"I felt bad so I split my fries with them," Gabriel says. "Not the most exciting way to end a story, but an angry Lucifer is not fun."
Sam can imagine. Even a normal Lucifer is intimidating. Him angry is something Sam hopes he'll never have to experience. "On the bright side, no one killed anyone. At least, not that the police can prove." He gives Sam a suggestive wink.
Sam cracks up laughing again. Gabriel joins in, and they spend the next few minutes just laughing together, being goofballs and just enjoying themselves. Sam's never had this much fun before in his life, and he finds himself wishing it would never end. Unfortunately, he knows it will. It's just a matter of weeks until John gets back, maybe less, and then he'll have to leave. He pushes it out of his mind. No need to dwell on that now. He might as well enjoy Gabriel's company while he can
W
A/N I'm sorry for that whole last part of the chapter. I just kinda got the talking and Gabriel's stories came to me and then I typed them out and then this happened and honestly there was no point in this entire chapter except to pass time, so I hope I passed the time well enough for you.