Chapter 7 : Evacuate

"Groups 7 and 10 will stay behind to fly the speeders," Tasha said to the squadron leaders, eager to actually be allowed to help once more, "as soon as each transport is loaded, evacuation control will give clearance for immediate launch." They nodded to her, departing their separate ways. She cast her green eyes absentmindedly over towards the Falcon, she didn't know why, it was just habit.

She saw a young blonde in an orange pilot suit talking to Chewie, before the Wookiee pulled him into a hug. There was only one person that could be:

Luke.

Tasha grinned, jogging through the hangar over to the blonde and enveloping him in a hug, her arms around his neck. Luke hugged her back, and Tasha felt relief wash over her, an emotion she hadn't felt for a long time.

"Nice to see you too, Tash," he said, laughing slightly. Tasha smiled.

"Are you sure you're strong enough for this?" she said to him, and Luke rolled his eyes at her, making her laugh, "Okay, okay. Just checking." Her eyes flicked up to Han, who was stood on the Falcon, a tool in his hand.

"Enjoying being in charge again, princess?" he said, smirking slightly. Tasha just smirked back at him.

"At least people are listening to me," she said, before turning back to Luke. "You be careful up there, y'hear?" Luke nodded. "You too, Han," she said it quite seriously, not as a joke like she would normally. She truly meant it, no matter how annoyed she was with him. The smuggler smirked again.

"And here I thought you didn't like me, princess," Tasha gave him a small glare.

"I don't." she said, "in fact I hate you."

"Keep telling yourself that, sweetheart." Tasha scowled again at him before turning away, walking back through the hangar, her black ponytail swinging again, pulling her black jacket closer around her shoulders against the cold.

Han's smile was almost wistful as he watched her, his mind darting back to the first time he met her, in the gloom of Jabba's palace. The girl had stood up for herself in front of the Hutt, her green eyes flashing dangerously as the slug threatened her, he remembered her look of indignation when he pushed her out of the way. Her small smile as she thanked him.

And now he was gonna leave her here on this suicide mission to free the galaxy. He must be crazy. Chewie growled something up at him, and Han turned back to his precious Falcon, trying to ignore the guilt that swirled in him.

****

"General, star destroyers are coming out of light speed in sector 4," Tasha walked over to the technician that had spoken, eyeing the map over his shoulder. It looked like half the fleet had been sent out to get them. He was with them; Tasha could feel it, like an extra pressure at the edge of her thoughts. As though she didn't have enough to worry about.

"Reroute all power to the energy shield," Tasha said in her commanding tone, the one she had perfected for times like this, before turning to General Reiken. "We have to prepare for a ground assault," Tasha said to him, but the general shook his head.

"We have to focus on the evacuation," he reasoned. Tasha looked at him in disbelief.

"There won't be anyone to evacuate if we don't at least attempt to hold them off," she argued, "they aren't stupid. They'll bring enough of a force to get them inside the base before the first transport has even lifted off. We need to fight." If there was one thing Tasha could do, it was win an argument. Her smirk widened as she watched the cogs in his head, whirring and yelling at him to choose the right answer.

"Prepare for ground assault," the general said to the technician, and the man nodded, turning back to his screen and flipping a switch on his control panel.

Time to have some real fun.

****

The base control room shook violently, throwing everyone still in it to the side. Tasha grabbed a chair, keeping her balance as blocks of ceiling plaster trickled down from the roof, turning her long black hair dark grey. She scrambled over the rubble to the female control board operator.

"Send all troops in the south bunker up to the west t protect the fighters!" Tasha said, shouting over the permanent creaking, and the gunfire that filled the air.

"Are you alright?" called a distinctly gruff voice, and Tasha groaned in frustration.

"Why are you still here?" she spat at Han, as he attempted to pick his way over to her. Leia was still trying to climb over some rubble, shouting orders to this person and that as another blast sent more rubble down from the ceiling. The chaotic screeching of battle covered the room like a blanket, and Tasha felt like she was drowning in this battle she knew they couldn't win.

"You got your clearance to leave!" Tasha shouted at him, "wasn't that what you wanted?"

"Don't worry, I'll leave. But first I'm going to get you to your ship."

"I don't want your help!" Tasha snarled, her mind flitting from the battle out there to the one in here.

"You're gonna get it whether you want it or not, your highness,"

"Imperial troops have entered the base! Imperial-!" the frantic call was cut short, the empty static filling the air. Tasha cast a nervous look at her sister, and both their eyes passed the same conclusion. All the eyes in the room were on Tasha, for her decision of their fate, whether they were going to be slaughtered or not.

"Come on." Said Han quietly, his hand holding her arm, "that's it."

"Give the evacuation code signal," she said, quickly grabbing Leia and dragging her, much to her protest, with them, "and get to your transports!"