Try Not To Get Yourself Killed

"When I said all the way, this wasn't what I had in mind!" Tasha whispered rather testily to Qi'ra as they walked down the ramp of the ship. Her hair had gone from black to a shocking platinum blonde, the colour lighter than the sand of the Tatooine plains that surrounded them. A singing troop that were currently in the employ of Qi'ra was destined to begin work for Jabba the Hutt, and their leader owed her a favour. Tasha's singing was fair, perfected through years of slightly drunken karaoke in bars around the galaxy: It was the perfect way for Tasha to enter Jabba's palace and get a good look at what they're up against without arousing suspicion. She looked unrecognisable with her bright hair and the blue contacts masking the green of her eyes. The sun scorched the part of her skin that wasn't covered with the scratchy beige cloak.

"You're welcome," muttered Qi'ra, rolling her eyes as she walked Tasha over to the hostel where the group were staying, overheating in her heavy velvet cloak. She looked around as they neared a door, knocking three times before being hurriedly ushered in. The alien who let them in was a blotchy green colour, reminding Tasha of a round, overripe fruit supported by two sticks. Her face was elongated into a tube shape around her lips, her mouth like a trumpet topped off with radioactive-looking pink lipstick. After a hushed, hurried exchange in Huttese with Qi'ra, she cast a look over Tasha, nodding in approval before continuing to jabber. The girl nodded along, thanking her before turning to Tasha.

"I'm afraid from here you're on your own," she began, readjusting her cloak, "I'll drop Lando in a few weeks, if I start showing up frequently all of a sudden Jabba will smell a womp rat. He might be obnoxious and self-important, but he's not stupid."

"Thank you, for everything." Tasha said genuinely.

"I didn't do it for you," she snapped back, apparently not buying it.

"I know," replied Tasha, "and that's why I'm so grateful." Qi'ra scrutenised her, eyes piercing into Tasha's heart.

"You don't deserve him you know." she said flatly, "He's the best man I've ever known."

"Not that there's much competition in your line of work." Qi'ra rolled her eyes at her, before turning and walking towards the door.

"Try not to get yourself killed."

***

In. Out.

Tasha tried to push the heat of the hundred eyes that followed her out of her face, and the anxiety that at any moment any of them could recognise her out of her mind. Taking her lead from the other members of the group she was with, she kept her head high, her lip-gloss covered pout turning up a little at the edges.

Her now-crystal-blue eyes cased the joint quickly. She'd visited Jabba's palace numerous times before, but not for a couple of years, since she'd nearly been dragged off and fed to the rancor, since Han had stepped in and saved her ass (not that she liked admitting that). Since she first met him. Well, now it was her turn to save his ass.

Mind on the job.

There were guys with weapons everywhere. The worst scum from around the galaxy that weren't afraid to cheat and steal and murder for money. If anything went down she was laughably outnumbered and outgunned, even if she used the Force she'd be dead before she even took a step. And she had no way of contacting the outside for help until Lando arrived. Not that she knew when he was arriving: Qi'ra hadn't been particularly specific.

Mind on the job.

She recognised a few of them. Boba Fett. Arguably the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, resting casually in the corner of the room, visible through the smoky haze, hand sat on the barrel of his blaster, and Force only knows how many other weapons he was carrying. He'd been the one to bring Han here, who watched them all being tortured. Who brought Vader to them in the first place-

Mind on the job.

The massive grate in the middle of the floor opened up into the rancor pit, the way the dust settled around the edges of it and not on the top indicating a trap door. So, don't step on that.

There were no windows, no visible way out other than the main passage that you came through, and that was covered by a pair of Jabba's guards; maybe a good place to try and get Lando stationed. This chamber where Jabba sat was designed like a fortress, and a damn good one at that. you didn't get in or out of here unless they wanted you to. There were more guards on either side of Jabba, as well as some attendants, although they seemed to serve more as Movers-Of-The-Enormous-Slug rather than soldiers. Another good place to get Lando stationed.

The air was hazy though, one side of the room barely visible from the other-

There he was.

Hung on the wall like a grotesque modern art installation. Hands out in front of him as though to try and protect himself from the carbonite. Face contorted slightly in ... surprise? pain?

Her pulse increased, and her heart did one of those weird somersault things like she had no control over anything in her body. He was alive.

And to be honest, despite the mass of crooks, and guards, and the fact the room was pretty much impenetrable, and she had no weapons and no backup, it was a fairly easy spot to rescue him from. Tasha had been prepared for weeks sneaking down to the prison cells, to the basement, to the storage areas, an elaborate excuse of being lost getting used far too often for it be believable.

Now all she had to worry about was her singing voice.

****

Author's Note:

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure whether or not to leave this book here and move straight on to Tasha's adventures in the Return of the Jedi.

Can y'all leave me a comment if you'd be interested in Tasha's adventures in Jabba's palace trying to save Han? Or if you just want me to get on with the action of the next movie???

Thanks and Lots of Love,

Tx