Chapter 17 : You're a Good person

"Please, please!" Tasha shrieked, her voice filled with desperation, her defined face contorted with fear, "let them go! Please! I'll do anything! Just please!" the last words that passed her lips were almost a sob, all her resolve breaking as another anguished groan met her ears through the glass. The commander turned towards her, a satisfied smirk on his face as he watched her strain against the bonds holding her in place, straining towards the glass wall of the torture chamber. A careless wave of his hand and the droids stepped back, the other two captives panting, dragging air into their lungs before the next round of torture started. One of them lifted his head, a look of disappointment in his eyes, and Tasha's tortured sob increased, more at herself than at them. She had broken, they had broken her. There was no way in hell that they were going to let them go; she had just given them so much power over her. Her sobs turned into a scowl the longer the commander looked at her, she could feel the rage filling her up, bubbling, his sneer fuelling the fire inside her.

"Are you ready to tell us the Republic's next target, Miss Ryann?" the commander said, a cold, satisfied look in his eyes. Tasha gathered the last of her resolve and spat in his face.

"Go to hell." She snapped, her voice slightly hoarse from all her screaming. The cruel smile on the commander's face widened, and he raised his hand again, signalling the droids to begin again. The anguished cries filled the room and Tasha screamed. Her eyes flashed gold from their usual green, only for a moment as she let out a scream, and the window between them shattered, pieces of glass flying into the air, one of them lodging itself in the commander's chest, the light leaving his eyes and blood pooling on the front of his uniform. The droids turned towards her, raising their blasters, and Tasha let out another scream, a shockwave echoing around the room and knocking them down. Her shackles snapped at the base, the electro current holding her there disappeared. She was free . . .

"Please stop! Please!"

Tasha's voice came out almost as a shout, travelling to Han's ears through the relatively empty rooms. She was sat in the corner, her eyes closed, darting beneath her eyelids as her head slumped against her shoulder. Han crouched down beside her, unsure of what to do. He set one of his calloused hands on her arm, shaking her gently.

"Tasha," Han said, his voice just as gentle. Her startling green eyes flew open, scrabbling slightly trying to get her bearings, trying to shove him away from her.

"Shush, shush, it's me, you're okay," Han said, tightening his grip on her arm and making her look at him. The fear was still evident in her green eyes, panic bubbling within them.

Her breathing began to slow back to normal, and she wrapped her arms around her knees, pulling them into her chest. What the hell was wrong with her?

"Alright," said Han, sitting down beside her, his back against the wall, "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me exactly what's bothering you." Tasha just sighed.

"It's complicated," she said, trying to discourage him. Han just gave her a look which seemed to say 'really? You're gonna try that one?'

"Okay then," she began, unsure exactly how to start. How do you start telling your life story to someone, even if they are your best friend?

"It all started about 30 years ago," Han opened his mouth to say something to her, but seemed to think better of it when he saw her hesitate. This was hard enough without him butting in. "I honestly don't have a clue what happened to me. You see, I'm not from here."

"Shoot, I don't think anyone would admit to being from this dump," said Han, but Tasha shook her raven head seriously.

"No, I mean from here, this universe. Where I'm from, you guys don't exist. You're fiction, false, not-real." She cast a nervous glance towards Han, gauging his reaction. His face was unreadable, but the news didn't seem to have shaken him that badly. She cleared her throat, which was suddenly very dry, before she began again.