Chapter 20: Kriffing Typical

Tasha groaned as a pain in her head seemed to pull her back to consciousness. The ground beneath her was cold and unyielding, and her hand slid slightly when she tried to prop herself up, which in itself probably wasn't the smartest idea. She let out another groan as she tried to open her eyes, failing as her head pounded in protest. A small growl met her ears as great fluffy arms wrapped around her shoulders, sitting her up against the wall. She still didn't want to risk opening her eyes.

"Chewie . . ." she breathed out. The pain in her head dulled, and she her thoughts were coming back into focus.

Han.

Leia.

NO.

Tasha's eyes flashed open too quickly, and another splitting pain shot through her head. The Wookiee let out a soft growl, scolding her slightly for trying to get up so quickly.

"chewie. . ." Tasha said, still breathlessly as the pain rocked her head again, "chewie where's . . . where's Han?" the Wookiee growled out his reply, and Tasha visibly relaxed.

"They're alright?" she said, her voice slightly disbelieving, the pain in her head dulling again. She pulled herself to her feet, holding onto the huge, shaggy creature for balance.

"But Vader said. . ." the Wookiee growled back at her, shaking his head. Tasha chuckled darkly, "well that's kriffing typical." Chewie let out a shocked howl at her exclamation and Tasha laughed, wincing quickly afterwards. "You've heard me say worse!" she said. A scream cut through the quiet of the cell, and Tasha's eyes quickly lost their humoured sparkle.

"I thought you said he hadn't hurt them!" Tasha said as the screaming continued. Chewie let out a colossal growl. Tasha kicked the doorway.

"Let me out of here!" she shouted as loud as she could, startling the cloud city guards outside. She kept shouting at them, but the rest of her statements would've made R2-D2 blush, if droids blushed. When she had finished emptying her lungs at the door, she spotted a box on one of the hard metal benches.

"Chewie, what's that?" she said, her voice slightly hoarse. He let out a noise that sounded rather feeble, but Tasha nodded as she picked up the brass arm.

"Why don't we try putting him back together?" she suggested, sounding rather deflated, almost empty. All she wanted to do, all she ever wanted to do, was protect the people she cared about. To keep them safe. Now they were being hurt all because of her.

***

"Oh yes that's much better," said Threepio, his eyes sparking up and then shorting out again. Tasha held two wires together, Chewie tinkering with another spot on the droid's control panel. "Well something's wrong because now I can't see!" he said angrily. Tasha sighed, pointing out the correct spot for Chewie and the droid's amber eyes flickered back on. Only then did Threepio notice their mistake. "Oh my goodness," he said, "I'm BACKWARDS!" Tasha chuckled slightly as the droid began babbling insults at Chewbacca until the Wookiee shut him off.

The door to the cell opened and Tasha looked up hopefully as Leia was shoved inside, grabbing onto the wall as she nearly fell over. Tasha couldn't stop herself as she pulled the younger girl into a hug, relief filling the embrace, and for once Leia didn't resist. She hugged her older sister back tightly, her eyes closing.

"I'm sorry," said Leia, looking into Tasha's eyes, true sincerity in her words. Tasha just smiled.

"I'm sorry too," she said, her green eyes closing slightly, "I, I shouldn't have left, I should've told you, I shouldn't have shut you out-"

"You were doing it to save me, to help the rebellion," interrupted Leia, "I would've done the exact same thing." Leia hugged her sister again.

The door opened, and a pair of stormtroopers dropped Han into the cell, closing the door quickly behind them. He fell flat on his face, not bothering to try and pull himself back up. Tasha bent down to him, shitting her shoulder under his arm as Chewie did the same with his other side. A bewildered expression crossed his face as they pulled him up, not helping them in the slightest, his eyes slightly vacant.

"I feel terrible," he announced to no one in particular. Tasha gave him a concerned look.

"You've looked better," she affirmed, gesturing to Leia. The younger girl pressed a button, a small bunk opening out the side of the wall, and the Wookiee and Tasha sat Han down on it. Tasha crouched down near his head, carefully brushing a strand of his hair off his forehead.

"Why're they doing this?" she said quietly. Han let out a painful sounding breath.

"They didn't even ask me any questions," he said. The door opened again, and Tasha looked around again, this time less hopeful as to who she'd see there. Lando entered the cell in a swish of blue, surrounded by the guards Tasha had abused when she heard Han's screams.

"Lando," she said quietly, helping Han as he tried to push himself into a dignified position. The raven girl glared at the traitor, her green eyes full of a fire that no one wanted to be on the receiving end of. Lando looked uneasy as he walked into the cell. He wasn't happy with this situation one bit, but he had people, a hell of a lot of them, that he was responsible for, and he didn't fancy having all that suffering on his head.

"Get out of here, Lando," Han growled, but Lando didn't have the time for this; if anyone discovered what he'd been up to, it wouldn't just be his people that were suffering.

"shut up and listen," he said urgently, and to his surprise they all shut up, even though Tasha's green eyes were trying to burn a hole in him, "Vader's agreed to turn Leia and Chewie over to me, they have to stay here but at least they'll be safe."

"What about us?" said Tasha, and Lando could feel the accusation in her voice. Lando didn't blame her, but he didn't have time for it.

"Vader's giving you to the bounty hunter," he said. Tasha scoffed and the smaller girl also glared at him.

"Vader wants us all dead-" Leia didn't have chance to finish as Lando cut her off.

"He doesn't care about you at all, he's after someone called . . . Skywalker!" Lando said angrily, returning the glare of the princesses.

"Luke," Han said, now also glaring at Lando. Tasha's breath hitched slightly, of course he was.

"Vader's set a trap for him," he said. Tasha nodded slightly.

"And we're the bait," now it all makes sense. The raven girl kicked the wall.

"Yeah, well he's on his way here." Leia and Tasha exchanged a look.

"You've stitched us up real good this time, haven't you?" said Han, rising to a wobbly standing position, "my friend." Han lunged out, his fist connecting with Lando's face with about half the force as he would normally, but he collapsed back to the floor as one of the guards hit him hard with his blaster.

"Stop!" said Lando forcefully as the guards raised their blasters again. It was for their safety more than anyone else's, because Tasha did not look like someone who should be messed with at the moment. She bent down next to Han, her glare melting into concern, but quickly hardening again when she looked back up at Lando.

"I'm sorry, I've done all I could but I have my own problems!" Lando said, sounding almost angry as he readjusted his blue cape around his shoulders.

"Yeah," said, Han, still sounding breathless, "you're a real hero." Lando cast one more look around the cell before sweeping out, taking the guards with him. Tasha let out a sigh as she looked at Han, her expression melting again.

"You certainly have a way with people."