chapter seven | italian charm

- - -

Cadwell wasn't mean to me last Friday, and that is very weird. It's just so surprising for me to see that he actually buys gifts for his mother on her birthday, and not just some random, affording gift, but an extremely pricey Swarovski crystal necklace. He's not as cold and indifferent and jerkish as he seems. Yuck, am I actually saying good things about him? I may be sicker than I thought I am.

"What's on your mind?" says Michelangelo. We are on our way to English class, and he has been notably nice to walk with me since I was all lonely and stuff. Sniff. Mondays are the worst.

"Oh, nothing, just thinking about how good the cheeseburger I had a few weeks ago," I reply, surprised by his sudden remark, and he chuckles. Adjusting my bag on my shoulder, I make an accusing face. "What! It was a really good burger!"

"Don't get me wrong," he responds with his adorable Italian accent, "I'm sure it's really good. It's just that you take your food very seriously."

I roll my eyes, but my lips curl up on their own. "Of course, next time I'll take you to that place and you'll agree with me."

"Is that your wicked way of asking me out?" He raises his perfect eyebrows and grins goofily.

I laugh, "You wish, you little git."

"One can always try. C'mon, as friends?" Mich shrugs lazily. We reach our classroom right before the bell rings, and I respond with a "Fine, why not." He seems to be pretty excited by my response like an over-energized puppy. He adds, "Today. 8 pm. I'll meet you outside your dorm?"

"Mr Rossi, do you mind sitting down so I can start my lesson? Thank you." The teacher says, annoyed. I can see others looking at him. Well, the boys aren't, but the girls are all staring at him hopelessly.

"Okay, then." I mouth the words to him and squeeze him a smile as I sit down beside Alexandre.

- - -

I'm just putting on my favourite pair of jeans when I hear a knock on my door. Scrambling to zip my pants and checking my attire, I open the door. A Michelangelo with a cheeky grin stands in front of me. He's wearing a simple grey t-shirt and black pants with his hands casually in his pocket and his wavy black hair untamed. "Hey mate," he greets.

"Hi. Hello. Uh, just let me grab my coat and purse." I ramble, holding my own hands together in front of my chest. He politely nods and chuckles. I run to the desk and get my stuff, "Alright, sorry for the wait."

"It's nothing, you ready?"

"Yup."

After a short walk featuring me and Michelangelo pushing and nudging each other playfully, we finally arrive at the restaurant. The lights are dim, but the furnishings are very welcoming. We get the table outside since the weather is pretty nice in London standards, which is rain-free. We both order the diner's famous cheeseburgers, and soon, dinner is served.

"I have to admit that you have a good taste bud," says Michelangelo, his grey eyes flickering. He takes a napkin and wipes his mouth. "It is indeed good burger."

"Yeah, trust me when it comes to food." Stretching my body, I reply with a smirk.

"So, I guess we're 'besties' now?"

"Besties it is."  

We split the bill and hang out a bit in the nearby grocery store, just to buy some food to fill up our dorm refrigerators. "Okay, I've got yoghurts of all flavours that you can imagine, cheese crackers, strawberries, an apple, and a package of gummy bears." I announce my "weapons of choice" to Michelangelo. We had a competition of choosing the best snacks, no repeated ones. 

"I've got these crazy Japanese instant noodles, a chocolate bar, tortilla chips, a box of chocolate fingers, and a bag of gummy worms." He raises his basket.

"Hey, I've got gummy bears already! You can't choose those!" I'm sorry, rules are rules.

Mich rolls his eyes, "These are worms, not bears, they're different."

"Fine, fine," I give him a side-eye and run to the only empty self-checkout counter.

"Hey, cheater!" He shouts behind me.

"Aww too bad, please don't cry." I tease him while faking a pout.

"You'll regret that, Allie, you'll regret that."

In conclusion, I guess reaching out to people and having a social life can be fun sometimes. This hangout thing keeps my mind off my homework, my job, Cadwell, Melina, school, and other painful stuff that eats out my energy. Well, this eats out my energy as well, but in a good way. I wave Michelangelo goodbye and return to my dorm. 

I walk to my dorm room only to notice that the door is slightly open. Didn't I lock the door? Oh bloody hell, I didn't. Wait, but I'm sure I closed the door. Fishing through my purse as quietly as possible, I try to find something to defend myself. The only things that come close as a weapon are my keys since they can scratch people, but I think it won't help much. Breathe, Allie. Breathe. My fingers are trembling, and I can feel the adrenaline starting to kick in. Breathe. I push the door right open and yell, "Whoever you are, announce yourself or else I'll—"

"What the heck, Allie? Chill, won't you?" Melina shouts with narrowed eyes. "The door wasn't locked when I came knocking at your door. Then you weren't here so I thought to wait for you. Where did you go? Took you long enough."

My mouth drops open as I realise who is in my room. "Oh my goodness, it's you! I thought I was gonna die!" Getting an eye-roll from Melina in return, I jump onto my bed and throw my coat on the table. "So, what brought you here?"

"I was bored." She replies without looking away from her phone. Seeing that I didn't respond, she glances at me and sits straight. "Would you dislike me? Am I annoying to you?"

Where do these questions come from? I take a step back, "No, of course not, why?"

"Really? Am I not annoying to make you late for curfew? Or to make you shop with me?" She asks. 

Something comes to my mind, and things are becoming clearer. Hanna, the girl who hangs out with Alex and Isan and the same person I met at the canteen, must have told Melina everything I "complained" to her. But to my defense, I didn't say anything mean. Well, you can put it this way: I was strictly stating the facts. "No Melina, it's honestly alright. Besides, I'm glad to have your company."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Melina." I smile. 

I guess I have to be more careful with my mouth and watch out Hanna. Melina and I go through some snacks, and she leaves after I tell her that I need to shower. I return to doing my work (screw these weekly evaluations), concluding the day.

 - - -

Please vote and comment <3 

Thank you so much for reading my work peeps, it means a lot xx