Fear VS Hope

Rowan hadn't really slept for the last month, he couldn't. Not without his fireheart. His carranam, his queen, his wife. His mate. He swallowed against a wave of self hatred, his mate, how had he been stupid enough not realise? Ever since it had been revealed, the bond was like a jagged nail that dug into his heart at the slightest thought of Aelin. He had allowed her to carry yet another burden, on those already weighed down shoulders, because of his own denial. 

As a result of Rowan's constant restlessness, he had become accustomed to spending his nights in hawk form, surrendering to its animal instincts. Though it did little to lessen the gaping hole in his chest, and the constant stabbing of his heart, for Aelin was woven into his soul, not his mind, it lessened it. He was currently perched on a branch, overlooking the camp in a small clearing of the forest. Rowan couldn't bare to think of what may be happening to Aelin, right now, while he sat on this branch. And did nothing. They had been searching for two months and six days and two hours, and had nothing. 

He was shaken from his thoughts, when his hawk eyes caught a flash of moon white between trees. He scented the air: Fenrys. His pulse jumped to life, he cawed, low and beckoning. The wolf, his fur stark in contrast to the dark forest, stalked out from a nearby bush, eyes on Rowan. 

Rowan had no patience for caution as he swooped down by the wolf, shifting to his fae form before landing soundlessly on the leaf coated ground. Fenrys followed suit. The ice prince tried not to wince has the full force of his wounded soul hit him, no longer clouded by the Hawk's mind.

He wasted no time, "Where is she?", Rowan growled, not bothering to hide his desperation. He looked the fae over once noting the male's damp ruffled hair and sluggish movement.

Fenrys opened his mouth before closing and opening it again.

Rowan pushed down the horrible thoughts of what had happened to render Fenrys, the male with often far too many words, speechless.

"Where. Is. She?" Rowan repeated, ice coated hands curling into fists.

Fenrys spoke in a near trembling voice right before Rowan was going to punch him, "I- She was taken to a- a place," When Rowan growled he added with desperation, "I don't know where, Maeve wouldn't even tell me. The bitch brought me with her to this- place... ", he trailed off, noticing Rowan's impatience  "long story short, Aelin isn't there anymore." 

"What?" Rowan barked, not knowing  if he should to fear or hope, and struggling not to give in to either.

"Once, I was told to return Aelin to her- her box, alone, Cairn" Fenrys growled the name, "was busy. " Fenrys was no longer looking at Rowan's eyes, more staring at the mud, "That night, I lingered at her cell- just in case Cairn came. I heard her chanting something. There was a flash of purple light. I was worried, so I opened the box back up," The twin let a long breath out, "she was gone."

Rowan stood in silence.

"No one could have taken her out- and she couldn't have gotten out, I was there the whole time. But Aelin was gone. On the door there were these symbols drawn in blood, her own blood."

Rowan's eyes widened, Wyrdmarks, Aelin had escaped with Wyrdmarks.

Fenrys reached into his pocket, and Rowan couldn't help but be hopeful. If he had the symbols and the spell, he could find her, or at least know how she got out. 

"I copied the symbols down, and wrote what I could remember of her chanting. When I was done I smeared them." Fenrys handed him two neatly folded slips of paper, and Rowan took them like they were the most precious things in the world. They were a glimmer of hope of getting his wife back. He was afraid that if he breathed Fenrys and the papers would turn to ash, and he would jolt awake, finding nothing but the forest around him and no queen beside him. Now days his dreams enjoyed doing things like that.

"Thank you." Rowan said, his voice hoarse, attempting to gulp down the lump in his throat, "Thank you."

Fenrys gave him a grim smile, before looking down at the ground again, mumbling, "Get her back, Whitethorn.", clasping Rowan on the shoulder and giving him a firm shake.

Rowan attempted a smile but failed, instead asking, "How did you get away?" He knew Maeve wouldn't have willingly let him stray this far from her reach.

Fenrys grimaced and shrugged, not looking up from the ground, "When she found out that Aelin had escaped, she was pissed. I've never seen her so livid." He paused before continuing, "So pissed, she gave our leashes some slack, she didn't notice when I slipped away, didn't think to question me."

Rowan thought for a moment before saying, "Then stay here, you can help us find her. Maeve won't be able to call you back unless she hunts you down."

The Wolf finally looked up, his eyes darkening, his throat bobbing, "No. She still has my brother, I'm not leaving my twin with that bitch.", he said shaking his head.

Rowan nodded once. He had already known his answer. But if- when, when Maeve discovered what Fenrys had ran away to do, it would be the ultimate betrayal.  The twins would pay dearly, Rowan knew that, and so did Fenrys.

Fenrys said nothing more, before shifting back to his wolf form. 

-

After Fenrys had bounded into the forest, Rowan waited to see if anyone had followed him before unfolding the papers. One was a large drawing that contained a cluster of wyrdmarks, none of which he recalled, in a circular formation. The other held a jumble of words, spelt phonetically along with helpful dashes that marked where a word was missing. A total of eight words were absent.

As Rowan Whitethorn consort of Aelin Galathynius read over the papers until they were burned into his mind, until he could hear Aelin's voice saying them, he gave into his hope completely. And though he still didn't sleep that night, he didn't feel the need to shift into his hawk form.

Though I am not too happy with this chapter, I hoped you enjoyed it!! If you ever have any suggestions for where this fanfic should go tell me!