Shift

There was an unfamiliar pound on wood that drifted up the stairs, Rhysand threw an arm across the bed only to remember his mate was not sleeping beside him. As the realization went through his veins like ice all the other worries and responsibilities settled in again. Rhys pulled the covers over his head, ready to enjoy a few more hours of sleep, he didn't have to look out the window to know it was too early to get up. Unfortunately for him the pounding persisted and Rhys was forced to pull on pants and go down the stairs, almost tripping twice. By the time he reached the door he knew who it was, Rowan. He pulled it open, prepared to tell him to go fuck off for a few more hours. The first thing Rhys noticed was Rowan's ice coated fist, already raised to knock on the door once more. 

"Look Rowan," he began, but his words died in his throat as he met Rowan's eyes. And saw his own desperation, misery, and loneliness reflected there. 

He cursed his own sympathy and finished his sentence by saying, "I'll get the others."

Rowan nodded curtly, the only gratitude he would show. Rhys pushed past him, stopping when he looked down at his bare chest, "After I put on a shirt." he looked up at Rowan, attempting a grin, "Wouldn't want to start a riot."

A pained expression passed Rowan's features, and the ice crept higher up his wrist. Rhysand dismissed it and hurried back to his room. When he returned his wings were out and visible, he expected a grand reaction, but Rowan just looked them up and down, his face remaining as unimpressed and disgruntled as ever. Rhys briefly wondered what Aelin was like, and what Rowan was like when he was with her. This was probably a fragment of the male Rowan truly was, so Rhysand forgave the lack of interest and gratitude.  

He walked past Rowan who stood silently in the doorway, and with one mighty stroke of his wings took off. Having only the wind in his hair to distract him his thoughts soon went to his own mate, and the panic he had felt from her last night. Feyre had claimed it was nothing, and then shut him out, completely. He had spent hours pacing around his room, heart and mind racing. Rhysand had debated breaking through, he could, but it wouldn't be elegant or stealthy. She wasn't stupid, he had decided, if she needed help she would ask for it. And breaking through- she would hate him for it. Hoping he was right he sent a burst of love down the bond only to have it hit a solid divide. 

By the time Rhys arrived, Az was already awake, he stood there at the entrance, arms crossed, shadows pooling at his feet, waiting for him. 

He looked in his friend's eyes, and his friend looked back, "Can you wake up Cassian and Mor?" Azriel nodded. "I'll wake up Amren, meet me at the town house." Another nod. 

-

Cassian growled and rubbed his face, from the corner of the room, "Why the fuck are we here? It's too early for this shit." Azriel shot him a look that silently told him to shut up, Mor sighed and Az's head snapped to her, anxiously following her movements. 

They all turned their heads to the door when it was opened, Rhysand walked in, his wings gone, hands in his pockets, black hair ruffled from the wind, followed by Amren and Rowan. 

Rhys looked at Cassian, "We're going to the court of Nightmares."

Throughout the fifteen minute argument Rowan sat impatiently tapping his fingers, he didn't understand why they were arguing, they had decided this the day before. 

Rhysand dragged a hand through his hair, "So, Mor, Azriel, and I go to the court of nightmares, while Cassian and Amren will stay here in case anything goes wrong. Rowan will stay here too," he glanced at him, "make yourself at home." he returned to his gaze to the court meeting each of their eyes, "We'll be back in three hours."