Lost Her

Rowan had stepped out the house, reminding himself not to slam the door he had instead shut it with a firm click. And that had been that, he had thought he would never enter the home again. He had wandering the city, searching for Aelin's scent, letting out his breath when he realized there was no longer that infinite void his bonds had previously faded into. That must mean she was close, Rowan had thought. But after his roaming had revealed nothing, and he had had no epiphanies during his little sleep, he had realized he had no leads and no food-unless he wanted to steal or eat rats. Which did not sounded appealing. 

So, despite what he had thought, he found himself in that house again, surrounded by very, tense, very suspicious fae. And Rhysand- Who, despite looking miserable, was nothing but kind towards Rowan. 

"I hope your offer is still open." Rowan said, trying to keep the edge from his voice.

"Of course, I assume you need food?" He replied with a grim smile that did not reach his eyes.

Rowan nodded. 

Rhysand gestured half halfheartedly to the table behind him that was filled with various meats and breads, an empty seat next to the one Rhysand had been occupying.

"We were just having breakfast, you're welcomed to join us."

Rhysand turned to sit back down in his chair, the other did the same. He gave them all a smile that he hoped was reassuring. He saw Rowan hesitantly look at the empty chair beside Rhys, his eyes then wandering around the table for another seat. Rhysand waved a hand at the chair beside him, gesturing it was fine to sit there, even if it sent a slight pang of hurt when Rowan sat down. 

It was nice, he supposed to have someone who knew nothing about his reputation, Rowan seemed to feel no need to worship him or to sneer at him. He was completely neutral, and the more Rhys thought of it, the more empathetic he felt towards the male. He knew where his mate was and could retrieve her at any moment. But Rowan had no idea where his mate was if she were safe- Aelin was her name he remembered.  Though Rhys' time in Rowan's mind had been brief, he had heard two things, the first being that name, that had relentlessly bombarded him, just the name Aelin repeated over and over. It had been so loud he had almost been unable to to catch any other information. But in between the name he had heard "My wife, My mate" just before a wall of ice and air had slammed him out.

Rowan was silently eating, his eyes on the table in front of them. Amren, Rhys noticed with a hint of concern, was peering at Rowan, her glass of blood abandoned on the table. That was very odd for her.

Rowan noticing, turned his head sideways glaring right back at her. Rhys was rather impressed by this, most couldn't stomach being around Amren, much less look into her eyes, it had taken him several years to get use to it. She held his stare before her lips twitched upwards, she was enjoying this, Rhys knew. 

"So tell us more about this mysterious girl, your mate." she drawled, picking her glass up, swirling it. That got everyone's attention, they all looked up from their plates, glancing between the two.

-

Rowan bared his teeth at the female, "Why would I tell you anything?" He didn't want to talk, especially not about her. Even if he was eating their food, he did not dare trust him with his mate. Rowan wasn't sure he would ever trust anyone with her ever again after this. Plus half of his concentration was on keeping an impenetrable wall around his mind.

The dark haired female thoughtfully looked up, tapping her fingers on the table, "Well let's say I passed her in the street, how am I to know it was her? I could've already seen her even, but since you haven given us no description, we would not know if we were to spot her."

She was playing with him, Rowan knew but nevertheless he played the scenario in his head, what if they had? What if they did?

"I am Amren, by the way."

He supposed a physical description wouldn't hurt, "Blonde hair, golden ringed turquoise eyes." Rowan couldn't help picture her, that wicked grin on her face. And his heart sunk when he realized that she probably no longer looked like that, that she may never grin that way again. He wouldn't blame her, after all she had no doubt endured.

Amren nodded, apparently satisfied.

Rowan turned back to his plate, the other's eyes still following him.

The blonde female spoke, her tone stark and edged with distrust, "How did you lose her?"

Rowan looked up again, meeting her dark stare, "And why should I tell you how we became separated?" 

'Became separated' because he could not deal with the guilt that he had lost her, he had failed her. And though it was true, he had lost her, he could bare to say it. Not until he had found her again.

"Because," Mor said, her arms crossed against her chest, "You're eating our food, you want our information, and maybe if we had some backstory and attachment to this girl we'd be more willing to help you."

Rowan sighed, she was right, they had been gracious enough to let him eat here, even if it was only Rhysand who was welcoming. "She was captured.", He said curtly, hoping that could be the end of it. 

They all looked at Rowan expectantly, so he gave in abandoning his food, he didn't feel hungry anymore anyway. "Her name is Aelin. She was captured, by this bitch who wanted to use her as a weapon." Hopefully that was enough to keep them satisfied. 

"So she's dangerous?" Amren asked, tilting her head curiously.

Rowan turned to look at her, his lips twitching upwards, "Very." he responded, which what he supposed Aelin would have wanted him to say.

"If you piss her off." He added as an afterthought. 

Rowan continued, all amusement gone, "And she escaped, and ended up here."

After a moment of silence, a winged male spoke "My name is Cassian, and this bastard sitting next to me is Azriel." he said gesturing to the winged male encased in shadow.

Rowan nodded at them, turning to Rhysand, who was looking a little more at ease, "Could I have a map?"

The other's eyes shot to Rhys, who didn't react, "Sure." he said pleasantly.

A growl rumbled through the room, Rhysand smiled "That's Mor by the way." he said gesturing towards the blonde.

-----------------

Not very happy with this one... Ehhhh.

Hey BTW if you want more Rowaelin fluff check out my One-shots (which is currently just a Hogwarts AU)