Mind Reader

Rowan took a deep breath, and stepped into the gaping purple hole, pushing all the doubts that filled his head away. When his foot pasted the threshold, the world behind him disappeared along with the portal and ground beneath him. He was thrown into a free fall, that had him frantically shifting into hawk form. As Rowan glided through the foreign air he observed the land below him, reluctantly tearing his eyes from the purple skies and breathtaking mountains. The dark of night shrouded most of the land's details from him, but a cluster of lights indicated civilization. So Rowan, like a moth, blindly flew towards those lights.

What Rowan found was surreal, a patch of perfection the city was. Filled with music and art. Aelin would have loved this, if they ever had the time, he would bring her here, he thought as he watched from a branch. He soon noticed the pointy ears sticking out from hair and hats, and after scenting the air he realized it was a city full of fae. A few of the residents, though smelling similar to the fae he knew, look nothing like them. Possibly branches from fae? He did not know, and he didn't care much. Rowan was here to find Aelin, he could give two shits about this world.

A group of people came down the street, the other seemed to part for them, giving them pleasant smiles and nods. Five fae, Rowan counted, three males, two females. The male at the front, black hair, hands in his pockets, had a pained expression, while a female with long blonde hair feverishly yelled at him. On the male's right was a small female with short black hair, and though her outward appearance suggested fae, the aura she emitted was otherworldly. Behind her were two others, leathery black wings adoring their backs. These males were fae, and something nagged at the back of Rowan's mind, he briefly recalled a mentioning of winged fae.

The back haired fae stopped abruptly and turned to look straight at him with dark eyes,"Who are you? You do not smell of the night court?"

Her companions all turned, the winged males pulling out swords, the female in a fighting position, the raven haired male's hands remained in his pockets, a trace of terror passed his face before it was stomped out, leaving it expressionless.

"You do not smell of any court for that matter.", the female drawled with an excited grin.

Rowan, accepting his discovery, swooped down, shifting back into his fae form. He kept his hands at his sides, in easy reach of his weapons.

"I am Rowan Whitethorn." He had the time nor the patience for fake a alias.

The fae look towards the wingless male and Rowan followed their stares. He stood more up right, with a purpose, though his face still remained weary.

"And where are you from?", he questioned.

"I am not from a land, or world, you would know of, and I am not allied with any land on this world."  

Puzzled looks passed the winged males' faces. The short female only retorted, "Try me."

Rowan did not moved his eyes to her when answering, "Terrasen."  

The male's eyebrows rose, "And what brings you here,  Rowan?"

Rowan battled with himself, he didn't want to give anything about how important Aelin was to Terrasen, or him.

"I am here to retrieve someone." 

"Who?"

Rowan swallowed a growl, "A female who accidentally... came here." , he said with more than a hint of unintended aggression.

There was a moment of tense silence.

"You should come with us."

Rowan nodded.