Chapter 2: The Reaping

Later that evening, my mom managed to pull herself together enough to lay out a nice dress for me and do my hair in braids. I looked in the mirror and barely recognized myself. Although the Reaping was a solemn occasion, and the Quarter Quell terrified me, I couldn't help the little burst of joy I felt seeing myself all dressed up. It was so rare to have anything worth celebrating that the thought of attending the Reaping didn't seem all that bad. After a few moments of our parents fussing over how nice we looked, we walked to the Justice Building.

Despite how we felt inside, we had to pretend we were excited about the Reaping and the approaching Games. Peacekeepers were lurking around every corner. District One was the closest District to the Capitol, a little sliver of their craziness. If any citizens showed unease, they would be reported immediately. Then the Capitol would deal with them. The Capitol wouldn't rest until every spark of rebellious thought was put out.

Since that year anyone, no matter what age, could be reaped, sections were divided by five years. Ages 0-5 were in one section with their mothers crying over them, 6-10 were next to them and so on, up until age 60-65. The oldest person in Panem only lived to be 70, and that was over 50 years ago.

I went with my brother to stand in the section marked 11-15 after we had our blood drawn. My stomach was filled with nervous butterflies again, and I grabbed onto Cable's hand for comfort. He squeezed my hand reassuringly as our Capital Representative, Blooming Rose, marched up on stage with 2 envelopes in hand.

Just like last year, and the year before, Blooming was dressed in an all pink outfit. A tight top enhanced her clearly operated-on body, and her skirt imitated a rose petal with it's folded layers of silk.

She was never one to waste time, and quickly got the Reaping rolling. "Fresh from the Capital!" She waved the envelopes in the air. "I am sure you are very excited to learn who has been chosen to represent District One! Before we get into that though, let's watch the video!"

Seeing the video they play at every reaping, which basically shows the aftermath of the war combined with a few scenes from the Mockingjay Rebellion, felt much different this year without the presence of my
mom and dad beside me. I had never been eligible for the Games before, and I shouldn't even have been eligible this year, but the Quarter Quell changed that.

Blooming Rose eagerly stepped back up to the microphone, interrupting my thoughts. "Now I'm sure you all saw our marvellous president announce this year's Quell, hmm?" She grinned over-enthusiastically. "Well, the Gamemakers have thought long and hard about it, and here I stand with the names of the two, lucky representatives from District One! I would like to remind everyone that no volunteers are allowed in these Games, and may the odds be ever in your favour."

Reaching dramatically into one of the envelopes, she announced to the audience, "Ladies first!"

The silence that fell over the crowd was agonizing. I had never squeezed my brother's hand so hard as I waited anxiously for Blooming to spit out the name and get it over with.

"Celia Deen!"

Cable gasped, and my face went pale. It wasn't my name, it couldn't have been. I was too young to be in this, I was too young to die! My heart was hammering at three times it's normal pace, as everyone in the crowd turned in my direction, their eyes lead by Cable's gasp. He gripped my hand tighter as if he could change my fate. The ringing in my ears blocked out the gasps of relief from all the other girls in the crowd. My muscles were frozen, and prevented me from moving.

Out of every girl and women in the District, the Gamemakers had chosen me.

"Celia? Come up here, dear," Blooming invited as two peacekeepers grabbed me and dragged me up to the stage, despite mine and Cable's cries of protest. I could hear my mom screaming, but I didn't have the heart to look her way. Feeling a single tear trace down my cheek, I gulped and looked down at the ground. "Chin up, darling," Blooming ordered, obviously disappointed, considering that usually District One's tributes were ecstatic about the Games.