Chapter 4: The Parade

I blinked a few times, my mind trying to orient where I was. The moment I saw the red carpeting and felt the motion of the moving train, the events of yesterday came rushing back to me.

I am in the Hunger Games.

Well, not quite yet. But in less than 6 days I will be in the arena.

Taking a moment to allow the sorrow that welled up inside me drain out, I wandered over to my window. When I opened it to let in some light, I saw that we had arrived in the Capitol.

This actually wasn't the first time I had visited this mystical place. When I was much younger I travelled here with my mom and Cable to visit my mother's sister. That was before they lost touch.

Still, that was many years ago, and the tall buildings and bright colours lured me into a feeling of false security and happiness.

Then I heard the cheers.

Hundreds of colourful Capital citizens lined the train tracks and began to shout when they saw me lean out my window.

"Aw! It's the young one!" "Celia, look over here!" "She's such a cutie!" "Look she's still in her pyjamas!" "Cece!" "I'm rooting for you!" "Cute Celia, that's what we'll call her!" "Good luck!"

Their cries filled the air as I tried to wave at every single one of them. I knew enough about the Games to recognize that Sponsors may determine whether you live or die.

"Making some friends, Cece?" Blooming's voice made me jump. I didn't hear her come in.

"Maybe," I smiled coyly.

"Well, Miss Social Butterfly, hurry up and get dressed. We're gonna have breakfast and then talk about the parade!" Blooming squealed and locked the door, giving me privacy.

I opened up the door to my walk in closet and pulled out a t-shirt and jeans. Running a brush through my hair, I slid on a pair of sandals. My stomach grumbled as I closed the door to my room and headed to the dining area.

"Good morning Celia," Tristan smiled at me from his seat at the table.

"Hey, Tristan!" I skipped over to the seat next to him and sat down.

"Well someone's happy!" He sat down his coffee mug.

"My mom always told me to see the bright side of things," I mumbled, suddenly sad, and once again being hit by a wave of homelessness.

"Then your mom is a very wise lady," Tristan grinned. I looked down. "Come on, chin up buttercup," He lifted my chin so I could look into his eyes. "Im gonna get you out of there alive."

Before I had time to respond, Blooming walked in with Tally and Grim. Blooming's hair was impossibly bigger than yesterday, but she stuck with the same pink scheme, from her hair to her eyeshadow to her shoes. Tally wore her black hair in a low bun with some curled pieces hanging loose, and Grim's dirty blonde hair was gelled nicely.

"Are you two ready to meet your stylists?" Grim asked.

"Yes!" Tristan and I chorused.

"Well, come on then. We have to hurry to the tribute building to make sure we have enough time to beautify you both before the parade."

Tristan and I followed our mentors off of the train and towards the large building built specifically for the tributes entering the Games.

The building stretched up high into the sky, and was easily the tallest tower I had ever seen in my life. My stomach churned just thinking about being up so high, and I was grateful that District One was on the first floor.