Chapter 14: Escape

Tristan's Point of View

I saw her, lying on the ground, reaching out an arm toward the mutt with Emilia's eyes. This was exactly what I was afraid of. I knew she would never kill anything that resembled her friend.

"Stop thinking, Tristan, just act," I scolded myself.

I grabbed my knife from my belt that I stole from Denmark and whipped it into the final mutt's back. Celia's body lay motionless on the cold cave floor, her eyes shut tightly. "No, no Celia. Don't leave me," Tears leaked out of my eyes. I stroked her tangled ponytail. She looked so much like Helena, my own daughter. They were both much too young to be exposed to something like this, a televised fight to the death. I lifted her off the floor and held her in my arms to try and warm her frail body.

Boom.

"No, no, no no no no no!" I panicked. "You're okay, Celia! You're fine!" I ripped off part of my sweater and pressed it onto her bleeding shoulder. I promised myself I would protect her; I promised her I would protect her! I would never forgive myself if something happened to her now.

"Mmm," she whimpered.

"Celia! Celia, you're alive," I sighed. But she was still unconscious. And if that cannon wasn't for Celia, then it was for one of the other two remaining tributes. Well, now there was only one.

I needed to move if I was going to put Tally and Grim's plan into action. An unconscious ally wasn't going to stand in my way. Scooping Celia from my arms to over my shoulder, I began to run. Now, I consider myself a pretty fit person, but carrying an extra person on your shoulder while sprinting is no easy task, especially when you are dehydrated and starved. But there's no going back now. The remaining tribute will be out for blood, and you can bet the Gamemakers would be trying to herd us together.

I ran until I thought a lung would burst. I ran until I physically couldn't anymore. We were so close to the waterfall! I was losing hope when the miracle occurred. Celia woke up.

..........................................

Celia's POV

I slowly blinked my eyes open. "Tristan?" My throat was so dry, my voice squeaked.

"It's me," He smiled and I noticed the sweat trickling down his forehead.

"Where are we? Where are my parents and Cable and Emilia and.."

"Celia..." Tristan interrupted softly. "You were dreaming. We're still in the arena, we are in the Hunger Games."

My vision went black once again.

I was back in Emilia's lap, huddled next to Tristan. "Why are you back here?" Emilia hissed.

"Celia, I know it's hard. But I need you to be strong. Can you do that? For me?" Tristan asked softly.

"How can I? How can I go back there when I have anything I could ever want right here," I whimpered, enjoying my friend's presence.

"We'll always be with you," Emilia's expression softened. "No matter where you are."

We'll always be with you. Always. Always.

..................,.....

I opened my eyes to the dimly-lit cave; the arena. Tristan stood worriedly over me. "Celia?"

"Yeah, it's me," I sighed. Emilia was gone, again. That's what really killed me, I thought. Thinking I had her back, seeing her, and then watching her being yanked away again. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek, and quickly swiped at it with the back of my hand.