Chapter 10: Frostbite

"I killed him," Emilia whispered. "He's dead. And I killed him."

I knew how this would make Emilia feel. She was the sweetest, most caring person I had met so far in the Games. Being responsible for someone's death, even if if was an act of defence, would be something that would haunt her forever.

"Emilia..." Riyla walked over to her. "Its okay. You saved Tristan." Tristan pushed the dead tribute's body off of him and stood up.

"It was the boy from Eleven," He identified.

"I'm a murderer," Emilia shook beneath Riyla's arm.

"No, you aren't," Tristan walked over to comfort her. "You saved my life. I can never thank you enough."

Declan picked up Tristan's knife that the now-dead tribute had kicked away. He noticed me shivering in the corner of the tunnel. "There, there, Celia. We are all safe now."

I nodded. Those were the words I needed to hear, that we were safe, even if it wasn't entirely true. We were still in the Games. I pushed my emotions to the back of my mind and walked over to the rest of my alliance. We stood in a group huddle, arms wrapped around each other. We needed the comfort.

"Brier!" We heard a gasp from behind us.

Riyla snatched Emilia's dagger from her hand and pushed the girl up against the cave wall. "Don't even think about it," Riyla growled as she applied pressure to the girl's airway.

"No, please no!" The girl cried. "I'm Luna, from District 11! I don't want to hurt you, I want to ally."

Riyla loosened her grip in surprise. "Really?"

Luna nodded.

"It could be a trap!" Tristan cautioned.

"Yeah," Declan agreed. "Put all your weapons out of reach."

Luna yanked a knife from her belt and passed it to Declan. "That's all I've got," She promised. "Our mentors told us to leave the blood bath quickly."

"Wise words," Riyla released Luna.

"You better be ready to explain yourself," Emilia placed her hands on her hips. Clearly, she wasn't in the mood to deal with this situation, especially when it concerned Luna, the district partner to the tribute she had killed.

"Explain... what?" Luna dusted herself off.

"Maybe... why you want to ally with us?" I asked sarcastically, quickly growing frustrated. If Emilia didn't want to deal with this, then I didn't either.

"Oh, Celia!" Luna ran over to me. "I didn't see you there! I heard the cannons today, and I didn't want to ask in case if..."

"If I DIED?" I screeched. "You thought I'd be dead by now, didn't you?" The combination of her bad acting skills and her doubt in my abilities made me sick. Members of an alliance needed to trust each other.

"No, that's not what I meant! I just didn't see you and..."

"You think I'm weak, don't you?" I growled. "Forget about an alliance. I bet you wouldn't want to ally with a weakling like me in the deal anyway." There was no way in a million years I'd trust this wacko.

"It's not like that, Celia! I never said that," Luna insisted. But I wanted nothing of it.

"Save your breath," I muttered, grabbing Tristan by the arm. "Come on guys, let's move."

Tristan stumbled along behind me, but everyone else stayed behind with Luna. I wasn't thinking rationally, maybe it was my empty stomach, or maybe I just had severe anger issues. Either way, I didn't care that I was leaving behind some of my best friends. I was focused on one thing: getting away.