2. Complicated (Grif)

When windows updates just as you finish this so you lose all your work. AHA! Windows, ah you little rascal always FUCKING UP EVERYTHING (Windows: Learn to save your work idiot).

Next:

Washington

Felix

Locus

Words: 1006

Characters: Grif

Genre: Romantic and (little) Comedic

Halloween was coming up in less than a day and you were excited. Halloween was coming up in less than a day and you and Grif had nothing planned (despite the constant pestering from you).

"Let's go trick or treating" or "Do you want to go to Tucker's party?" would be silenced with sloppy, lazy kiss; brushed by Grif, or fully ignored by him.

It was definitely not the reaction you were not expecting because Grif, avoiding free candy? Astronomically strange.

You made it your goal that you were going to be doing something with Grif one way or another.

"Hey, Dex." You felt Grif's shoulders raise up slightly as he heard your question.

You were both leisurely flicking through channels as you sat on the right side of the couch, leaning on Grif. Your shorter height allowed him to lean on your head and occasionally burry his face into your hair.

"Yeah?" Grif hummed to your question while stuffing his face with chips (that you had bought him).

"What are you doing for Halloween?" At the mention of 'Halloween' Grif hesitated with his next bite but, just as quickly, brushed It off.

"Nothing."

"Correction, what are-" you put an emphasis on your next word as you point back and forwards between the two of you. "-we doing this Halloween?"

Grif stared long and hard as your finger before swatting it away in a slightly irritated manner.

"Like I said, nothing." If it wouldn't have disrupted your relaxed mood, you would have thrown a mini fit that included; stomping, pinching and (potentially) crying from you or Grif.

"Dex. Why not?" He said nothing in response. "You're missing out on free candy!"

You could feel Grif perk up at 'free candy' but you could also feel him dull down for a reason you didn't know.

"Dex is there-" You stopped mid-sentence as you finally realised what the problem was.

It was Halloween and what was Halloween usually associated with?

"BATS" You weren't sure if it was your abrupt standing up, or the mention of bats that made Grif flinch back violently. "You're afraid of bats."

You felt liking hitting yourself for being so dense, how could you forget what Simmons had told you last year?

Apparently Grif was screaming and groaning every time he saw something that resembled a bad. He was clinging to Simmons like a mad man and even got so scared he begged to go home.

After Simmons told you that story and you two got home (after a night out with Simmons) Grif was a little grumpy. Though, you easily swayed his mood with a few kisses and cuddle ups.

"No I'm not!" Now it was your turn to stare long and hard at Grif, silently questioning his answer. "I TOLD YOU I'M NOT AFRAID OF BATS!" Still you said nothing as you stood in front of the television with your arms crossed.

"You're not?" He nods energetically. "Fine." You sat back down next to Grif but this time you didn't lean on him. "You don't have to go with me."

Grif raised an eyebrow at your sudden compliance. Usually it took than just a protest to convince you about anything. He thought it was weird but not something he wanted to concern himself with (because it took too much effort), so he went back to watching the food channel.

Minutes of silence went y as Grif was intently undressing the salad dressing and you were sitting there unimpressed with your arms crossed.

"I'll just go with Felix." Your words, that suddenly broke the silence, got nothing but a twitch of the eye from Grif. "And Tucker." Another twitch of the eye but still nothing else. "...As a sexy nurse."

This time you actually caught the attention of Grif. He finally turned to you with extremely narrowed eyes.

"You wouldn't." Of course you wouldn't, but he didn't know that.

"Actually I think I like the sexy maid-oh not wait, what about the-" before you could say anything else a hand covered your mouth.

You looked up hopefully with your eyes glistening with childish excitement (and a face you knew Grif couldn't say no to).

Grif stared back for ten seconds so you widened your eyes by a tenfold.

Unwavering after five seconds.

Slightly wavering after ten seconds.

Extreme wavering after fifteen seconds.

A sight as twenty seconds before Grid removes his hand from your mouth.

"Fine we'll go." As he said this you clapped happily. "But don't blame me when we're mauled to death by bats."

Grif didn't want to tell you why he hated Halloween. It wasn't just because of the bats but his family history that created this...phobia.

Being in a circus meant being surrounded by the creepiest, most unusual things constantly. Halloween just reminded Grif of his supressed memories.

His eyes then drifted to your form. You were picking out multiple outfits, while wearing an odd one yourself.

He didn't show it but it hurt him somewhere inside, brought back memories he didn't want back.

"Hey Dex!" He looked up to see you flaring off some weird hot dog costume. "How do I look?"

Good enough to eat, is what he would have said if his common sense didn't stop him.

"Eh, you look okay." Is what actually came out.

You stood there for a moment without saying anything and only staring at Grif.

"What's wrong? Is there something on my face?"

"You don't seem to be enjoying this."

"No, I'm enjoying this." Grif didn't intend for his response to be sarcastic but instinct somehow controlled him.

"...I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For this! Simmons told me you're not into Halloween yet I tried to force you into this situation." You awkwardly rubbed your sides. "How about we go home and I make it up to you?"

"I don't know, it's pretty hard to-"

"How about we buy some sweets and eat them in front of children?" This made Grif gasp dramatically.

"That's pure evil...but I love the way you think."

o