42 | The End

42 | The End

Kim | Trev | Caden

Two Years Later

Does she know?

Nah.

Are you sure?

Yes! She was so upset because you weren't the first one to wish her. I spent the entire morning comforting her. She's probably still pissed.

Guess I'll have to hurry then.

Hey, before you go.

Yeah?

Always make her happy. I'm only doing this because she's happy with you. Happier than I've ever seen her.

I will.

I'm serious, Trev.

...

When she can't fall asleep, let her listen to classical music. It works like a charm. Make sure her neck's always warm during the winters. She falls sick really easily.

...

She hates horror movies.

That one I know.

Yeah, it keeps her up all night. You don't wanna put yourself through that. But if you do, just read her bedtime stories until she falls asleep.

...

Her parents are buried in Thomson Vale. That's a two-hour drive from here. Bring her there at least twice a year. Buy daisies when you do. Her mother loved daisies.

Thank you.

One last thing. Always be there for her. Always. Can you do that?

Caden.

Can you please promise to love her more than I do?

Yes, I promise.

Then we're good. Go find her.

● ● ●

❝This is IKEA's help center speaking. How may I help you?❞

Hey, may I speak to Ms Whitton?

❝It's me. I'm Ms Whitton.❞

I'm Trev.

❝Trev! This phone makes your voice sound so weird. Why are you calling me here anyway? Did you lose my number?❞

No, silly. Come down.

❝What?❞

C'mon, I'm waiting.

❝Oh my god.❞

Kim slammed the phone down, her heart beating like it had the night on the beach. The front door slid open and she ran out into open space, phone wrapped tightly in her hand.

"Miss Whitton."

She spun around, coming face to face with Trev.

Her Trev.

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed, just as he got down on one knee and pulled out a ring.

"Happy birthday, Kim Whitton. Will you marry me?"

"Yes! A thousand billion yes!"

── The End ──