12

Nightmare

---

"Clint, you're gonna be alright."

Natasha told her friend, watching over him as he tries to shake off Loki's mind control

Barton groans in pain a few times before replying, "You know that?" He lets out a dry chuckle, "Is that what you know?" He groaned again and threw his head back against the bed as the red head stood up and walked to a table behind him, making Clint look up at her, "I've got...I've got no window. I have to flush him out." He said while panting.

"You got to level out, it's gonna take time."

"You don't understand. Have you ever had someone take your brain and play? Pull you out and stuff something else in? Do you know what it's like to be unmade?"

She was quite for a moment before looking down at him, saying, "You know that I do."

Clint looked guilty, bring up something buried long ago. Changing the subject, he asked, "Why am I back? How did you get him out?"

"Cognitive recalibration." Natasha responded, moving to unfasten the restraints around Clint's wrists, "I hit you really hard in the head."

"Thanks." Clint tried to hold eye contact with her as she moved to the other wrist, "Tasha, how many agents did I...?"

She suddenly looked up, "Don't. Don't do that to yourself, Clint. This is Loki. This is monsters and magic and nothing we were ever trained for."

"Loki, he get away?" Barton asked, anger laced in his voice.

"Yeah. I don't suppose you know where?"

"I didn't need to know. I didn't ask. He's gonna make his play soon though. Today." He told her, sitting up probably as she walked to the other side of the room.

"We gotta stop him."

"Yeah? Who's we?" Clint asked, looking up at her.

"I don't know. Whoever's left."

Barton looked over at the other medical bed, which held a sleeping, yet not peacefully, Will Banner, a man he doesn't know much about, 

"Him?" He asked her.

She was quick to answer, "No." Clint had a questioning look on his face so she explained, "He's not ready to go out into action. No yet. Not after today." She said walking over to Will, pulling the blanket higher over him and placing her hand on his shoulder, making him calm down slightly.

Clint seemed to sense something had happened, but decided not to ask, "Well, if I put an arrow in Loki's eye socket, I'd sleep better, I suppose."

Natasha smiled and sat down next to her friend, "Now you sound like you."