27: Fast Forward Or Press Rewind

Chapter 27: Fast Forward Or Press Rewind?

            “This… can’t be a room inside the school… right?” I woke up to a nightmare. I had been kidnapped.

            Normally, if a student faints at school, someone would take them to the school office right? There were two beds in there. Sick students can rest or wait there until their guardians came to pick them up. I’d been there a few times before, but I was definitely not there right now.

            A teacher could have called my dad and asked him to pick me up. He would have came instantly, but then he would have brought me to my room, wouldn’t he? Or if he was being lazy, he would have left me on the living room couch and brought my blankets and pillow over instead, but I was nowhere I recognized.

            I wasn’t even at Diana Hoskins’ house, and I’d been there before! Once. Unfortunately.

            It was a teenage boy’s room, I knew that much from the decorations inside. Various trophies stood proudly inside a case mounted to the wall. There was a desk on one corner of the room with a computer sitting on it. A hoodie was draped over the chair in front of the desk, but besides that, everything inside the room seemed to be organized and tidy.

            The kind of scent that would have perfectly integrated with this kind of room would have been the soft scent of Febreze or even fresh laundry, but instead, this super strong, toxic-like cologne wafted inside this guy’s room. I almost suffocated and died.

            Where the heck was I?!

            Because of the intense fragrance of the cologne, I almost couldn’t smell it – the subtle smell of the owner’s scent. It was… I lifted the blankets to my nose and took a large sniff of it… familiar.

            It must be someone I knew. Todd? No. This wasn’t his room. But then who was it? Who was crazy enough to take me home?

            A sudden sound from the door made me jump. The doorknob turned, and a head slowly peeked in before the rest of the body followed. I recognized the face immediately, and when I realized who the woman standing in front of me was, I knew exactly where I was.

            “Oh Camila, you’re awake!” The same gentle tone. There was always something I liked about her – the way she spoke, the way she smiled, her warmth and her touch – she was the closest to the maternal love that I had never had the chance to experience. “You had me so worry there. I’m glad you’re awake now. It’s been so long!”

            “Yeah,” I murmured. “It’s been a while. Have you been well, Mrs. Lavenchy?”

            “I’ve been fine. You should really come around more often.” Her hand softly sat on top of my head and in the gentlest manner, ran her fingers through my hair. “I miss it when you used to come around and play with Tyler all the time.”