Prologue

*New Orleans, 2012*

Night - Lafayette Cemetery

After eight months, it was finally over.

Sophie Deveraux could finally feel peace as the constant rain that had threatened to drown the city suddenly dissipated.

Four girls laid on the ground in front of the woman, five sacrificed girls meant to wake up as their purpose had been fulfilled. Their white dresses were drenched in water and dirt -from months of being dead-.

The fifth and just sacrificed girl laid limp on the arms of Marcel Gerard, a dark skinned vampire self proclaimed king of New Orleans.

The recently killed girl's throat was slit, blood slowly drying on her skin as her arms glowed with her magic along the other four girls travelled back to the earth.

It was just a matter of waiting. The silence was deafening as with each passing second the girls remained still, no sign of life within their bodies.

Sophie cleared her throat, glancing at all the girls, grabbing the nearest girl's wrist in her hand. Her sweet niece, Monique. The reason she had risked her life for, the one she dared to manipulate, trick and threaten the most powerful vampires in earth, only to get her remaining family back.

"After the Harvest comes the reaping" Sophie declared, trying to look confident and not scared as she could feel everyone's eyes on her. Marcel's and the original vampires who made this possible by letting her become an elder and finish the Harvest. "Their sacrifices made and accepted. We call upon our Elders to resurrect the chosen ones"

Sophie looked down at the five girls.

Nothing.

They were still dead.

Sophie waited a few more minutes, her heart pounding loudly in her chest, doubt starting to creep. It was supposed to work. It was working...Please, come back. The original vampires surrounding her and a werewolf carrying a miracle vampire exchanged uneasy looks, starting to feel something was off. Sophie's voice trembled as she looked upon the sky, "We call upon our Elders to resurrect the chosen ones..." Still, nothing happened. Sophie became flustered and tears gathered in her eyes in denial, "Resurrect your chosen ones... Please? I beg..."

Nothing happened, the girls remained cold and unmoving and that's when she realized what the others did.

Something had gone wrong.

The Harvest failed like she had feared.

Sophie finally let out her tears, falling to her knees in front of her niece's body. "No!"

Sophie's sobbing grew louder as she grieved for her niece.

And she wasn't the only one. A blonde woman and a pregnant woman began to cry silently. Next to them stood two men looking devasted as they looked down. Marcel held closer to his body the harvest girl, looking downright sad and guilty, hugging her tightly as he glared over his shoulder at one of the men, at his sire Klaus Mikaelson. He gently set the girl between a black haired girl and a blonde girl as he sped away from the cemetery.

~8~

Mikaelson Compound - Study

Klaus Mikaelson sat on a chair, talking to the blonde woman from earlier, pouring two glasses of bourbon while recapping the day's events.

"This whole thing was doomed from the start, you know?" Klaus told her "Yes, we saved the city, and I'm not complaining about the witches losing their power, but this did not go down the way I thought it would" he handed the woman a glass, looking at her, smiling slightly "You surprised me, though. You were quite resourceful today. How did you find them down at the docks?"

The woman smiled impishly "You're not the only one with clever little spies in the quarter, Nik"

Klaus smiled slightly, looking away "Sometimes I think I don't give you your due, little sister"

Klaus' sister sighed sadly "I knew Elijah's plan was mad, but I really thought it would work"

"So did I" Klaus agreed "I was sure Davina would survive" He took a sip, looking away "There was so much life in her"

The woman leaned forward, frowning thoughtfully "What about the power?" Klaus looked up, "Five were supposed to rise, and none did. Where did all that power go?"

Klaus looked at her seriously, now wondering the same

~8~

Lafayette Cemetery

Tomb

There's a witch working on a spell, taking a small poppet, slicing it's throat open, pouring the blood within the poppet into a small goblet holding a potion, drinking it, getting imbued with power.

Suddenly, four people in various locations in the cemetery raised from their graves- a brunette woman, a red-haired female dressed in a flapper dress, a young black man in a white suit and finally a brunette girl with light brown skin and brown eyes.

The youngest resurrected witch wearing a grey colored dress walked around the cemetery, looking around in confusion.

A redhead woman walked closer, looking around curiously, seeing the young girl, stopping at the front gates.

The other two walked closer, the four of them holding the same expression of confusion.

The redhead placed her hand on the girl's shoulder giving the frightened girl a reassuring smile while still being confused herself.

They both looked toward the black man and older woman, confused.

"Why are we here?" The redhead asked.

The young girl looked up curiously, speaking with a French accent "We were dead, n'est-ce pas?" [Weren't we?]

The black man nodded slowly, "Someone brought us forth" They looked at each other warily "Who?"

"I did" They heard a woman's voice from behind them, looking toward a chocolate skinned woman with wavy brown hair.

The older brunette woman seemed to be the only one to recognize her "Sabine! What's the meaning of this?"

Sabine chuckled "Bastianna, I've had to endure people calling me 'Sabine' for almost a year now. I'd appreciate it if you'd call me by my real name- Celeste"

The young witch eyes widened in recognition, gasping softly "Celeste Dubois?"

Celeste smiled softly "Welcome back, little sister"