10

Day

New Orleans - Mikaelson's Compound

Laurette walked inside, hands holding a folded paper.

Elijah walked closer, having sensed her presence "Laurette, always a pleasure"

A small smile flickered on Laurette's lips, "Took the words out of my mouth"

Elijah smiled slightly "Not that I don't enjoy your presence but aren't you supposed to be getting ready for the feast tonight?"

Laurette nodded slightly, "The feast of blessings. Yeah, I am. But I'm not going up there with the other girls"

"Why not?" Elijah asked.

"I'm not a Harvest girl" Laurette answered simply. She shook her head, "That's not why I'm here though"

Elijah looked curious "Then what it is?"

"A deal" Laurette replied. Elijah was ready to deny it but she raised a hand "Let me finish please. It's more of a last wish just in case"

"In case..." Elijah trailed. Laurette gave him a pointed look. He realized what she meant, "I'm not promising anything if you're going to do something foolish"

"Elijah" Laurette told him in frustration, her accent slightly thick "Mon Dieu, just listen. You asked me to live my life when you took me to Genevieve. You were right, I hadn't lived at all. I made a friend. Two friends, actually" She smiled slightly, thinking about Davina and Josh. "What I mean is that nature always has a balance. Alexandra is not supposed to remain dead. I was. And neither of us can be alive at the same time for whatever Celeste did to bring us back. Sooner or later nature will find that balance and I'll die. It's not longer up to me"

Elijah listened intently and curiously "So what's this deal about?"

"It's actually a favor" Laurette corrected, hesitantly giving him the folded paper. "When this happens and I die. I just ask something simple. Peace"

Elijah grabbed the paper, noticing it looked like a letter, opening it but it was empty. "Laurette, what is this?"

"A spelled letter" Laurette told him softly. "The moment I die you may see what it's written. What I ask of you is important. The witches will want to bury me so my spirit can pass to the ancestral plane" She took a deep breath. "I want you to prevent that"

Elijah raised his eyebrows in surprise "You want me to stop them from a sacred ritual to give you peace"

"The Ancestral plane is anything but peaceful" Laurette snapped. "You get tortured until you see their ways, you're forced to help the living when they call upon you. That's not peace. I want peace. I need your word on that"

Elijah didn't hesitate. He knew he owed that to her "Of course. But you need to do something in exchange for my word" Laurette gave him an exasperated look. "You have to participate in the parade tonight"

Laurette tilted her head aside, scowling.

Elijah smiled.

~8~

Night

New Orleans - Streets

As promised, Laurette was participating in the parade, with the harvest girls up in a throne above the crowd as all the witches marched down the street.

The humans watched oblivious as to what the celebration truly meant, clapping, smiling, enjoying themselves.

While Laurette was up with them, she had politely declined be part of the blessings part with the other girls. She felt bad Alexandra wasn't with her friends and didn't want to feel like she was replacing her. Well, more than she already did. Besides that her comment still prevailed. She wasn't a harvest girl.