Ch. 1

I am NOT running anymore. Part of me wants to go on, but this is getting crazy. I know Dimitri has been after me for months, and I don't get why he hasn't given up yet. Wasn't he the one who told me that I couldn't have everything I wanted in life? Yeah, well, I wanted love. To be loved. And I fell in love. BIGGEST mistake of my life. Now, I know what you all are going to say, 'Rose, you're being ridiculous. You can't choose who you're going to fall in love with.' But, the past few months have changed how I thought of life. They've changed me entirely. I used to think love was beautiful. Now? After Mason? After Dimitri comforted me about Mason's death and my killings and then still told me that we could never be together? Disaster. Total Disaster.

Never again will I be comforted. Never again will I fall in love. I'm a new person now. Stronger. More observative. More harsh. Never again will I be scared by pathetic ghosts I think I'm seeing. And I absolutely refuse to be crazy. Though I think I might already be.

That's not to say that my problems have stopped. In fact, I think they might have magnified. But, I'm not complaining. I hardly care anymore. Headaches I can handle. Dimitri? Not so much.

He caught up to me. I knew he would. In my defense, I was running for hours while he and a band of 20 other guardians were taking one of the Academy's jets. Honestly, I didn't think Dimitri would be that open. I always thought of him as a Ranger. Quiet, fast and totally badass. Guess he was desperate to find me. Good.

He smiled at me. The nerve!

They're was no way I was going without a fight. They might have outpaced me but no way were they going to take me back.

I thrust a punch at Dimitri. It hit him in the chest. He didn't even see it coming. And honestly, neither did I. It was like I was being controlled. All the reason why I shouldn't be going back.

By the end of 15 minutes, all the guardians were unconscious. Well, almost all. Dimitri and I had our fighting stances ready. Even in the pitch dark night, I could see he wasn't taking this too seriously. Dimitri really had changed. It's not him. A voice prickled at the back of my head. It's you. You've changed.

I decided to ignore it.

"Roza," he breathed. Something in my heart leaped. I had always loved it when he called me Roza. Suddenly I could see more than the obvious. The way his shoulder-length hair was open tonight and the fact that he was inching closer. Not good. Before I
could react, he grabbed my arm and well, I froze. Literally froze. I could think nothing besides how warm his fingers were on my arm. NO!

I realized I screamed and snatched my arm away from him.

He looked at me, confused.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I glared at him. "What's wrong?" I repeated. "Is that you and your fellow guardians need to go. I don't want to get into a fight with you all again."

"Then don't fight," he said, shrugging. "Just come with us."

That earned him another punch. This time he caught it easily. With his hand tightly on my wrist, he crushed me with a hug. I tried to push him off, but he wouldn't let go. His lips were almost touching my ear when he said,

"Lissa needs you. I need you." It was exactly what I thought he would say to convince me to go back to the Academy. I didn't react and I could tell that he was growing uneasy.

Then I realized, Those guardians won't stay unconscious for long now. What if they see us? I heard movement behind me and I knew exactly why Dimitri was force hugging me.

Out of nowhere, a guardian grabbed me from my waist and lifted me up. I kicked my legs but it was no use. With Dimitri and me in an uncomfortable position like that, I had little awareness of my surroundings. Damn it, Rose!

"Take her to the jet, Yuri," A female voice said. It was one I recognized. Alberta. No. Alberta wouldn't make me do something I didn't want to. But of course, she, I realized was part of the school's search to find me and Lissa the last time. Why should this time be any different? Maybe cause Lissa wasn't with me? Or so I thought.

Alberta looked at me struggling. "Rose," she said in a pained voice. "We'll talk later."

"The hell we won't!" I screamed to Yuri, as he tried to put my seat belt on. "Let me go!"

Yuri ignored me.

Then Dimitri came and sat beside me. I glared at him before ignoring him completely. Then, I realized something else.... Everyone else was at the front of the jet besides me and Dimitri. They probably wouldn't even hear us if we talked!

God no way.

He wasn't gonna make me talk this time.