Ch. 7

I woke up on a couch, in a room that was definitely not the clinic. I felt like I had come back from a war, sat down to relax and watch TV, and then I was shot down. The prickly feeling in my arm reminded me that I was shot down. By a sedative. I wondered whether I won or lost that war.

I sat up, only to have two firm hands upon me, pushing me back down.

"No, no Roza. You need to rest. God knows how much you've slept these past few weeks," said a voice I thoroughly remembered.

I tried pushing Dimitri away (again!), but he only came closer. Too close.

"Let me go. Where the hell am I? What are you doing here?" I asked.

I guess he thought that I had some hearing problem or something cause he came more closer & turned his head, his mouth towards my ear. I shivered. I didn't like this at all. But there was hardly anything I could do, my entire body was pinned down by him.

"No, I'm not gonna let you go. You need to go back to sleep. You & I both know you're tired. You're in my dorm room. And the reason I'm here is, well, cause it's my room," he whispered.

"Why the hell am I in your room?" I whispered back to him. There was no way I could get out of whatever embrace he had me locked up in. I needed another strategy. I was beyond pissed with this guy now.

He smiled, probably happy that I'm not struggling. He definitely won't know what'll hit him.

"I brought you here," he whispered again. God, would he stop whispering?! I can't think!

"Why?" I asked, trying to smile seductively. Honestly, my question and smile came out rather uneasy.

"'Why?' Oh, Rose," he said, shaking his head and smiling. He removed one of his arms, and slid to the ground so he wasn't on top of me now, apparently thinking that I wasn't gonna fight anymore.

I think I surprised him.

I rolled myself on top of him, twisting his arm, and punched him square in the jaw. His head shot back, but my blow wasn't strong enough to do any real damage. I aimed a punch at his jaw again, but this time he deflected it and caught my wrist, bringing me closer to himself.

I tried to punch him again, but it was a total failure. Within minutes, I was pinned down again. This time on the floor.

"Dimitri," I groaned.

We were inches away. My mind drifted to the short, almost kiss from the previous day. Which reminded me about everything that happened yesterday. If he saw a change in my expression, he didn't show it at all. He looked at me with his sharp brown eyes again.

"Let's play a game," he announced.

"What?" I said aghast. "We're not playing any game. Let me go."

"No. You're playing this game. Then I'll walk you to your room and you won't have to see me for the rest of the day."

It was really a very broken deal.

"Only a day?" I asked. "No."

"Take it or leave it. Otherwise, you get to stay here all day. Maybe more. In this position," he said.

"You'll get tired," I pointed out.

"Then I'll just kiss you."

That did it.

"What game?" I asked, sighing.

"What, no kiss?" he smirked.

"What game?" I repeated with a dangerous edge to my voice now.

"Truth," he said.

"It's called Truth Or Dare."

"Nope, just Truth."

Suddenly I had a bad feeling about this. He was still on top of me. Yikes!

"Fine. Only one question each though. Who's first?" I asked. Please don't go first. Please don't ask me anything I don't wanna answer.

"That's not how it goes. My game. My rules," he told me.

I glared at him. "Fine, Grandpa. What are your rules?"

"I ask you 3 questions. And you give me the complete honest answer to them," he said.

"What the hell? No!" I tried getting up, but that just got our faces together, so I laid my head back defeatedly.

He leaned in closer. Too close. He whispered against my lips, sending shrills against my spine. "I thought we had a deal."

He almost closed the gap between us, when I shouted, "Fine! What's the first question?!"

This was beyond cruel.

"Good choice," he said, going back to his original position, which was still too close for me to be comfortable. "What happened yesterday?"

"I passed out."

"Rose."

"You said to answer honestly. I did."

"Details."

"Is that the second question?"

"Rose."

"You stuck a sedative in me. And then I passed out."

He started leaning in closer.

"I saw ghosts!" I said frantically.

He jerked his head back. "What?"

"Next question."

"Rose. Please. What do you mean you saw ghosts?"

"I felt claustrophobic, so I ran out of the gates & then I saw ghosts and had a panic attack. Then you brought me back into the Academy grounds, stuck a sedative in me and I passed out. The end. Next question."

"Roza, we're seeing Dr. Olendzki tomorrow."

"No. We're not. Next question."

"Why did you run away?"

I sighed. I knew this was gonna be one of his questions.

"Cause I started seeing ghosts and I didn't know what to do. I thought I was going insane. So, I ran. I was a danger to all of you anyway."

"No Roza, no. You're not a danger to anyone, Rose. You're the protector. And, I know you're telling the truth, but I don't believe in ghosts. I thought you would get more peace here than the clinic, so I changed my mind halfway & brought you here instead. But it doesn't matter, we're going to the clinic tomorrow. This shouldn't have been the first time I heard about this!"

"You're supposed to ask the questions & I'm supposed to answer them. I didn't ask for your comments. Moving on to next question. I want my free day."

"Roza, I wanna talk to you. To comfort you."

"You are talking to me. And I don't need comforting! Just move on to the next damn question!"

"Roza," he said, his voice pained.

"Say the last question."

"Do you want me to kiss you?"

"What?! NO! The whole point of this was to stop you from doing that!"

"Rose, I want the truth."

"This is the truth."

I wanted him to kiss me badly. No way was I telling him that, though.

"Don't lie to me. Do you want me to kiss you?"

"No."

He kissed me. And I didn't break it this time.