Ch. 17

My mind was spinning. I had this pounding headache penetrating the inside of my skull. Though it wasn't as bad as when I'm seeing the ghosts; it still hurt like hell. Vampire day would probably be starting in about 2 hours, so I had those 2 hours to myself before I had to go get ready for the school day. I resisted putting a hand up to my forehead, for fear of it getting bloodied as well. I closed my eyes tightly, and when that didn't work, I just gave up and went back to my dorm's floor.

My hand was hovering over the doornob of my room. I had to go in eventually, but I didn't want to wake Dimitri; at least not yet. I didn't know what he had to endure with me around these past few nights, but I knew that he couldn't have gotten that much sleep. He needed to rest if he was gonna be that kickass Guardian that everyone fears. But then again, if he woke up too late, he could be risked seen by someone while leaving my dorm.

My headache long forgotten, I took a deep breath and then decided to wash my hands from an outside bathroom and stall for time before I woke him up. But, before I could even take a step away from the door, it flew open; revealing Dimitri.

I quickly hid my hands behind my back, hoping that he didn't notice them. But it wasn't my lucky day.

"Rose let me see your hands." Woah, direct order. This is going to be hard to manuver myself out of.

"What are you doing awake?" I asked, hoping that he could not see that I was hopelessly trying to change the subject and draw his attention away from my hands.

"Waiting for you. I want to see your hands." OK, well it was worth a try. Going to have to think of another way.

"You can't always have what you want." Shit, that was a giveaway.

"Rose," he said, warning me to shut up and listen to him or else things wouldn't turn out so well.

When I didn't respond, he curled his hand around my upperarm and brought me inside, locking the door.

"We both have to get ready for the day," I said pointedly.

"Still have 1 and a half hours left," he said, removing his hand from my arm. His eyes widened, and he brought it back to stroke the nail marks on my arm. Hell I forgot about those.

I instantly backed away, but he just came after me, still standing in front of me, his hand never leaving my arm.

My hands were still at the back of me, and when they hit the wall and I gasped, he lost his control.

My breathing hitched as he brought his face up to mine and reached behind me bringing my wrists up to him for examination.

"What did you do to yourself?" he said while cursing in Russian. "Why did you do this Roza?"

"I was angry," I replied lowering my gaze.

He cupped my chin with 2 fingers and aligned his face next to mine, our eyes gazing into one another's. Just as I was about to lose myself in being completely drunk by his endless pupils, he whispered gently, but laced with pain, "At what?"

"Myself," I mouthed to him.

He kissed my forehead and then sighed, "Rose why? Why would you do this to yourself just because you're angry? Why are you angry at yourself? You did nothing wrong."

"I did."

"What?"

"I did a lot of things wrong. I pushed away my friends, pushed away you. I was so weak. I made so many mistakes. And I can't change them," that last part I said more quietly than the others.

"Rose, it's okay," he said softly.

"No!" I shouted, pulling myself away from him. "Don't you dare say that to me!"

He looked taken aback, concerned, and a little confused so I decided to explain, well irrationally though.

"It's not okay. You can't tell me it is. It isn't. It'll never be!" I said, or rather screamed as the headache kicked in again.

This time I really did put my palms on the sides of my head, and then proceeded to hit it repeatedly. I think I should have known that that wouldn't work.

"Rose," Dimitri said, trying to catch my hands and make me stop. "Rose! Roza!"

But I wasn't listening, too preoccupied by my own usual brain contemplating its own answers. At last, finding no other answer, Dimitri pushed me onto the bed and squared me with his arms as a blockade.

"Rose calm down!" he said from on top of me, breathing heavily. "Why are you acting like this?"

I closed my eyes and tried to think reasonably. I was breathing heavily too.

"I'm sorry, Comrade," I said, trying for a smile. It didn't work.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Roza," he said actually smiling. "So because of the circumstances, I suggest we skip school...but, if anybody asks, it was your idea. I've never done that. Ever."

He smiled cheekily as he helped me up and as I broke out into real laughter.

"Of course, Comrade. You were always the good guy."

"As if," he scoffed as I laughed harder. "So are we?"

"Are we what?"

"Skipping school?"

"Eager much?" I said smirking. "I'm the only student here. You don't go to school anymore. Remember?"

His face fell and I know it was mean, but he looked so super cute that if my laughter could get harder, it did.

"You have no idea what you missed out on, Comrade," I said. "Tell you what, let's get that eye checked out and then I'll go to class. We'll also have an excuse for me skipping the first half of the day."

"We're also getting your headache and hands checked out," he said and then also added -"And don't tell me it's just spirit. A headache and broken wrists is something Dr. Olendzki can handle."

I opened my mouth to protest but then shut it and glared at him, "Fine."

His eyes brightened and he said, "Let's get you cleaned up and go skip school."

I rolled my eyes, "You wait until you're out of school to skip school? What type of logic is that?"

He crossed his arms, "Oh, shut up. Come on, let's go."