| Chapter Nine |

Alfred smiled as Emma sauntered over to where he was sitting on the counter, "Dude! You're food is amazing!"

Emma blushed, and dipped her spoon back into the batter-filled bowl.

"I'm glad you like it!" She exclaimed, bringing the spoon to her lips and tasting the pink-colored batter.

She smacked her lips together, and thoughtfully pondered a moment, "Hmm...needs more sugar~."

She smiled at Alfred, and placed the spoon on the counter, "I'll be right back," she said, scampering off to the pantry.

Alfred watched her leave. His eyes tracing her long, slender legs, up to the small dip in her back, and the curves of her waist. These were all features Alfred found attractive in both genders. But there was something about Emma that didn't...connect with Alfred.

Alfred pondered this a moment - what was it that Emma was missing?

Alfred smiled as Emma walked back in, her hips swaying, skirt moving along. Alfred chuckled st something funny Emma said, and confused to watch as Emma made a cake.

Alfred looked at her intently. At the crease in her brow as she mixed the batter, the curve of her wrist as she dropped more ingredients in the bowl.

Alfred found Emma fascinating, and yet...

There was still something missing.

Alfred turned his head away a moment, squeezing his eyes shut, and furrowing his eyebrows.

Alfred knew exactly why he couldn't connect with Emma on a deeper level.

Alfred sucked in a breathe, and tried to mentally admit this to himself.

Alfred just simply...wasn't into woman.

Alfred couldn't stop the image of Arthur popping into his head.

No, Alfred already knew the answer.

As did the Elders, the choice was obvious all along.

There were just a few last things to do...

~~~~~

Alfred ran a hand along the walk as he descended even deeper into the cellar. He had passed many floors by now, and had reached a cavernous area with little light, and many steps. One wrong move, and he could tumble right off the edge - his body would never be found. So, Alfred stuck close to the wall, and held a torch out in front of him.

Alfred had made his decision, he knew who he wanted to marry. Who he had fallen in love with at first sight. But before he could have this person fall in love with him as well - he had to be sure that they were truly compatible.

In the Upper World, heirs to the thrones were chosen by the Elders, laws and sentences were carried out by the Jokers, and the Royal Courts ruled the four kingdoms.

In the Upper World, things seemed quite simple. But Down Below, things got a bit complicated. In order for there to be a new heir, each Kingdom's magical quality, must he compatible within each Royal Court member. Spades Magic - is Power. Alfred had to be sure his Kingdom would thrive with it's new Queen.

Alfred gasped as he slipped on a step, dropping the torch and watching it tumble into the chasm below. He sucked in a breath, and blinked a few times - glad his destination was only a few steps away, and emitting an aura of light.

Alfred let out a sigh as he stepped off the stairs, and walked towards a large archway. His eyes dances along the intricate patterns of the archway, speaking of the Spades Magic and Power in a language long forgotten.

Alfred walked through this archway, and was immediately filled with a surge of magical power.

He smiled to himself, as he watched the source of Spades power, start to glow and come to life - The Clock.

Many centuries ago, there was a Clock Tower in the center of the Kingdom, that was the source of all magical power in it. But after many years of war, and destruction, the Clock Tower collapsed, and was buried underground.

When times of Peace finally arrived, the Kingdom of Spades was able to rediscover the clock - deep in the chasms underneath the castle.

Although the Clock Tower collapsed that day many centuries ago - the Clock itself was still preserved by magic.

Alfred walked towards the clock lying on the ground, standing by its edge, he held out a hand.

Closing his eyes, he felt a warmth flow through him, and the hands on the clock moved faster, a misty glow flowing out from beneath the clock.

"My Queen," Alfred stated, opening his eyes, a violet glow emitting from them, "Are they compatible?"

The hands of the Clock froze momentarily, and began to spin backwards.

Alfred gasped as a sharp pain entered his chest. He dropped to his hands and knees, and panting heavily. Alfred slightly picked up his head, his eyes staring in bewilderment at the Clock.

"Y-You mean..." Alfred smiled slightly, and chuckled, "I see."

After another moment on the floor, Alfred finally pulled himself together. The Clock's magic had toned down, and tucked away in time with the present works.

Alfred dusted himself off, and groaned inwardly.

Now, he had to make the nerve-racking ascent back to the Upper World.

<^><^><^><^><^><^>

Zero: *blows raspberry* Porcelain I miss you!!
Until Next Time Sweethearts,
Zero Nights