Chapter 9.5

Hey! I just realized I skipped the whole aftermath of Pax's fight, so this is the conclusion of that. Chapter 9.5 if you will.

PAX

Fuck. She wasn't supposed to be here! Shit. What can I do? Think think think think....

"Holy fuck Pax! Are you serious?!? You fought Harmon? Fucking Harmon!"

"Why are you even here, Danny?"

"Are you fucking insane? I see you in this goddamn state, and you're mad at me?"

"I'm sorry Danny. I didn't mean that. Honestly, I know I shouldn't have hid that from you, but, at least I won!"

DANNY

Won? Won?! Won!

"Holy fuck Carter!"

"Yeah, I know" he murmured.

"What's wrong then? Why the fuck aren't you shouting that from the damn rooftops?"

"Maybe the fact that I'm pretty sure I have a broken rib, I'm as bruised as a day is long, and I drank 3 five hour energys before this, and some coffee, and I feel like I'm going to piss myself."

That bit made me laugh. And that's when Pax eyed me. His eyebrow shot up. "Does this mean you're not mad at me?"

"What? Of course I'm angry. I'm angry that you didn't tell me who you were fighting even though you knew how big this match was. I'm angry that you got hurt. Frankly, I'm a bit angry that you won. But right now, I can't act on that anger, so it really doesn't matter. Right now all that matters is you getting back to my place so I can get you back in tip top shape. Okay?"

"Are you sure you're not angry right now?"

"Don't worry. I'll be angry later. But for now, I'm afraid that if I get too angry at you, you might hurt yourself even more, so as much as I want to scream and beat the living shit out of someone, and get a tattoo, and drink a fifth of jack, I can't do that right now."

"Okay." He hung his head. "Okay."

"Thank you. Now please, help me
Get you up. I may be strong, but I'm not the damn hulk."

PAX

After a while of dressing my wounds and waiting for antibiotics to kick in, Danny left the room and came back with a bottle of tequila and two shot glasses.

"What's up?"

"We are going to play a game. You are going to tell me whatever the fuck is going on and why the hell you refused to tell me about your fight. Here's how it goes: I ask you a question, if you don't answer, you drink. If you do answer, I drink. And vice versa."

"Okay. Okay. I can do that. But I want to go first."

Danny put her hands up in mock surrender and gestured for me to begin.

"Why do you even care about my fight? About me? I mean, I feel like all I am is a good lay. A nice fuck, you wanna know why? Because that's all we ever do. You don't talk to me. You don't let me talk to you. It's just sex and small talk, so why do you even care?"

"That's not true. Come on, Pax. We're more than sex. And why wouldn't I care?"

"Are we more than sex Danny? Because I don't know anything about you. Your parents-" I saw her wince and instantly became angry. She obviously has something messed up about her and her parents, yet she's told me nothing. I want her to know my entire life story, and she can't manage a few sentences. "- your life, your childhood. Who even are you?"

"Don't say that shit Pax. I have opened up more to you than to anyone else in my life. Well, besides Mark."

I stood, and all I could see was red. Mark?!?!

"See! I don't know who the fuck Mark is! Obviously you two are close as hell, and I didn't even know he fucking existed. This is what I'm talking about Danny."

I slammed my shot, grabbed my shit, and stormed out of her apartment. I didn't realize how much pain I was in until the cold nighttime air him me like a ton of bricks. Too late to turn back now. I walked back to my house, and fell face first onto my bed. Though, I didn't get any sleep that night.

DANNY

I texted Pax.

Me: I'm sorry. I will tell you, I just can't right now. Please. Just, don't leave. I heart you.

I don't know how or when I fell asleep. It got a bit fuzzy after shot number 16.

********************

I woke up to about a million notifications. And the bitch of all hangovers. My roommate- what was it again, Cathy? Caroline? Coaraline? Cope... Copel.... Cope Cope Cope.... Oh! Copeland! Yeah, Copeland must've put out some Alkaseltzer, water, and some pain killers for me. Thank god. I'll have to remember to thank her later.

I pick up my phone and see a text from pax.

Pax: Let's just tone it down. Maybe, just have more sex and not over react. We aren't even dating, and I'm mad. I have no right to be mad. It's okay.

PAX

It hurt me so damn much to send that text. But I knew it was for the best. As much as I just want to make Danny let me love her, I can't. She doesn't know what's going on. This is obviously her first rodeo. But any opportunity that takes a step foreword, I'm probably gonna take. I doubt I can keep it just sex when I know what an amazing person she is.