Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

2 | kasey

The first day lasted forever

     Carl woke up an hour after Matt and Tess left, and meanwhile, Mrs. Dowry told her more about the baby's needs, the house and what she should do. She was really understanding and kind. In a short time, Kasey grasped most of everything she'd told her and Mrs. Dowry was convinced that Kasey could handle the rest.

     Carl didn't cry when he woke up, and that was the first thing Kasey noticed. He just sat down in his bed and examined around with curious eyes. Kasey was nervous when she entered into his room, which Mrs. Dowry encouraged her, since she was going to take care of him from now on, and the baby's eyes immediately darted on her. For a while, he didn't blink or smile, just stared.

     When Kasey's lips tilted at her sides, he smiled back at her. Then, he took a hold of the side of his bed, and raised himself successfully, as if he was asking Kasey to take him up. She did so, and realized he was heavier than she anticipated. "Come here, big boy," she said, cuddling him, and felt happy that the baby was so friendly and didn't get scared or panicked at the sight of her.

     His eyes lit up when he noticed his grandmother though, and he started to try to reach her in Kasey's embrace. Chuckling, Mrs. Dowry hugged her grandson and kissed his cheek. "My lovely boy." Then, the woman looked at Kasey. "Do you see how friendly he is?"

     "Yeah, he's so cute," Kasey agreed, chuckling. When she took a better look at him, she also realized how alike he was to his father; despite a little touch of European genes. His eyes were wider than his, as far as she remembered.

     "I have to leave now," the woman said, putting Carl on the ground, and walked to the door. Kasey looked back at Carl, who was now crawling and pausing and repeating. "He'll eat dinner in an hour. Then, you can play with him, he likes to hide and seek. He should sleep before 12."

      "Got it, ma'am," Kasey said, noting them all into her mind. "See you."

      After Mrs. Dowry had left, she spun around to find Carl—who was nowhere to be seen. She immediately got panicked, and ran to the living room. There he was, found a way to reach her phone on charge and was trying to click it open. She remembered how Mrs. Dowry mentioned Carl loved plugs. "Oh boy, you scared the hell out of me." Well, maybe, hell wasn't a word you were supposed to use around a baby, she thought. Then, she cuddled him, putting him on the couch and looking at her phone afterwards—it was still working.

      She decided to turn the television on, and a cartoon popped up, to keep him occupied while she prepared his dinner as Mrs. Dowry ordered. Luckily, Carl was easily hooked in the cartoon she opened. Mickey Mouse and The Clubhouse. Who wouldn't like that?

     Getting into the kitchen, she looked around. She tried to remember what the woman showed her. Carl had his meals prepared in the fridge. She took it out and put into a bowl. Then, although the woman explained, she searched for food for 13 months old babies.