Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

4 | kasey

Thursday was her off day

Thus, Kasey decided to go on a walk in the morning, as she used to do when she wasn't busy. Walking helped her relax and clear her mind. She wore black tights and a loose t-shirt. Filling her bottle, she grabbed her sports bag and left the house.

That wasn't the only reason why she wanted to walk today. It was her birthday and she always liked a short time to herself in her birthdays. The sun was rising up slowly behind the clouds when she looked in the blushed sky.

She usually passed by Jian's house en route but since she didn't want to see his face by any chance except for her shift, she changed her route and headed the opposite direction. She started by slow steps and jogged for a while when she warmed up. A long day was awaiting her so she made an effort not to tire herself excessively.

On the way back home, she stopped in front of a patisserie, which she frequently visited, and bought herself a small cake with one candle. A smile tugging at her lips, she walked back home with the box in hand and her eyes attached on it with secret humor. Unlike many people, she actually waited for her birthday and loved celebrating it. Her favorite time was when she bought herself a cake and made a wish with a candle, though. She was herself who made her birthday special.

When she entered home again, she heard some noise, which she assumed coming from the kitchen, she immediately tossed her sneakers aside and sauntered in the direction. It was still early in the morning and she didn't expect her mother to wake up. Her father, on the other hand, must have been at work by now. With a train of wonders in her mind, she entered the kitchen to find her mother preparing breakfast.

She uncontrollably smiled widely—although her mother always woke up earlier at her birthdays and baked her the famous carrot cake. "Mom," she whispered when she didn't have to because that was only her and her mother at home. "I can't believe you."

"This is a tradition," her mother replied, checking the cake in the oven. "Of course, I won't miss your birthday." Then, she walked to her daughter to wrap her arms around Kasey. "Happy birthday, m'dear. You're the best daughter I could ever ask for."

"You're just saying that," Kasey said, laughing as she hugged her mother back. "Mom, I'm sorry for everything—nowadays I neglected you and dad but I'm really so busy."

Her mother knew better that Kasey was a dedicated child and she never neglected them. It'd been the same since she was a kid. She always cared so much about her parents and put them at a high place in her life. Their opinions had been so important for her.

After a little chit-chat, Kasey left her mother with the cake and went to answer a call. "Hello?"

"Kasey, hi."

"Matt?" Kasey answered, a bit surprised. She didn't have Matt's phone number, though he was her best friend's brother. Thus, she found it surprising that Matt had hers and now he was calling her. "Is everything okay?"