Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

3 | kasey

When Kasey unlocked the door, it was nearing four AM

When Kasey unlocked the door, it was nearing four AM. Considering the fact that she was going to return home even later, she should have gotten used to the darkness. Unlike what she lied to Tess, Henry didn't even know when she was returning home and he probably was having his sixth dream by now.

She sighed, dropping the keys into the bowl, and sauntering into her room without a sound. However, she paused, while passing through the kitchen, because she noticed a shadow inside. That was her mother sitting when she turned the light on. "Mom," she whispered gently, "why are you still up?"

"Couldn't sleep," her mother replied, smiling, but from her tired eyes, it was obvious she actually stayed up to wait for her daughter. "How was your day, baby?" She asked, getting up by propping herself with the edge of the table. "Do you want something warm?"

"Nice," Kasey murmured because it was the truth until Jian arrived. "I'm tired though, thanks, mom. I'll just sleep it off—gotta wake up in three hours."

"Are you sure you can pull this off?" Her mother asked with worried eyes. "You come home so late."

Looking into her mother's eyes before she pulled her for a hug, she murmured, "I'll be fine, don't worry." And we need this, Kasey thought but she knew how sad her mother would be if she heard it. Even though her parents never left her under pressure, Kasey always felt like she had to help them in a way after the bankrupt. "Good night, Ma."

"Sleep well, baby," her mother replied, planting a kiss on her cheek. Kasey walked to her room and shut the door afterwards. Quickly getting rid of her daily clothes, she pulled on her pajamas and checked her phone. No one called or texted except Tess.

Are you home? She'd said.

Yep.

Tess was quick to reply. Yay! Up for a call?

Instead of replying, Kasey called her friend. "Hey."

"Hi," Tess replied. "So did you meet Jian?" She should have guessed she was dying to know about the details.

"Yes," Kasey said, yawning. "I did."

"And?" Tess hissed. "You can't hang up on me like this. Keep on."

"Tess, I'm dying—let's sleep."

"Whitton, promise you'll tell me everything without missing any details tomorrow, okay?" Kasey was immune to Tess' threats whenever something happened.

"Fine, m'lady. Pinky promise."

"Good night."

"Bye."

She actually wasn't as sleepy as she faked. However, she wasn't feeling so energetic to keep up with Tess' questions and her demands. Besides, she didn't really feel like remembering what'd happened with Jian because the thoughts alone were enough to drive her crazy.