(5) Baby Steps

Chapter Five ~ Baby Steps

I feel like a schemer.

Alright, that sounds bad, let me rephrase, I feel...sly. Yes, that's the proper description for what I've been doing. I was a clever little fox as I slunk and snuck around, planting ideas but never outright saying anything.

So, in a sense, I was just being sneaky.

A sneaky little shit that could feel the pieces of my plan slowly slotting together. It was almost too easy, really. I mean obviously Harry and Liam noticed how well Louis and Zayn performed with us, so that was one less step I had to take. Now I only had about, oh let's say -- a million more to go?

After our little performance two weeks ago, I just couldn't let go of the idea of having the five of us in a band together. It was constantly claiming my thoughts and I clung to it like a leaf clung to a tree in Autumn. I was happy to have something occupy my time and it helped immensely that I had a set goal for it. My goal? To get Harry and Liam to want Louis and Zayn in the band. It wasn't something I could just throw out there, every step had to be carefully planned, every move calculated. They had to see what I saw and feel what I felt on stage that night. They had to understand the difference between enjoyable and unforgettable.

When Liam, Harry, and now I, sang together at The Jolly Wagon, we were simply enjoyable. People clapped and sang along, even getting up to dance every now and then. They enjoyed us, they were entertained, but we didn't demand their attention, we were like a low class coffee shop soundtrack. We were playing lowly in the background, like the buzzing of a bee, people would enjoy the music or tune it out but as soon as they were finished with their coffees, we were but a hazy memory.

Zayn and Louis added something. A certain spark seemed to ignite when the five of us took the stage. It had simmered low, but we caught people's attention. They stopped to listen and watch us. They didn't have any say in the matter, it was like as soon as the first chorus came around they were all in a trance and I could feel the difference.

Liam, Harry and I had started rehearsing, and we were pretty damn good together. We fell into place with smiles on our faces, but after our night at DJ's it was noticable how different we sounded. We practiced long and hard, but our following performances never quite lived up to that of DJ's. The crowd wasn't as excited, the music less invasive.

It was like we were missing half of ourselves, and fuck it if I was going to perform one more night without Zayn and Louis. My current goal: to have them join our band by Friday night.

My problem?

It was already Thursday afternoon.

"Your place tonight mate?" Louis asked as he slung his arm around my shoulders.

He had crashed our work, once again. It was a miracle we ever got anything done around here with him and his loud mouth around. I often wondered how Louis even got a paycheck when he was constantly ditching his work duties to come over here and hang around Zayn and me. It was rather strange especially since he always made more money than us. Though I don't even know why I was surprised, he always found a way to work the system. If there was any loop hole to be found Louis would be the one to find it.

"Aye, Liam and Harry are coming as well so bring extra beer."

Louis fist pumped and began shouting out calls of celebration. I simply stared at him with patience, waiting for him to come back to Earth. Zayn noticed our friend as well and made his way over to see what all the fuss was about.

"What's he on about?" Zayn questioned while he scrunched up his nose in Louis' direction.

"Well there are two options this time. He's either very excited with having to bring extra beer tonight, or he's just over the moon that Liam and Harry are joining us." I began, scratching my arm in boredom, watching lazily as it began to turn from a pale white color to a dark black color. It was almost like finger painting.