quatre

if whoever is reading this is wondering why i keep referring them as friends, it's because homosexuality wasn't a word in the 1700s, so John and Alex didn't know that there was such thing as two people of the same sex dating.

Alexander woke up to John Laurens cuddled into his side, snoring softly with Alexander's collar clutched in his closed fist.

Alex smiled, leaning his head against the chair. Life was great, he had his Johnny, his friends, his work. Life was great.

He ran his fingers through John's curly hair, enjoying the soft strands that ran through his fingers. He then counted all of John's freckles and held his small, soft hands while he slept. He savored the feeling of it all because you never know how much longer you have to do it.

It was surely not entertaining, to only sit on a chair with your best friend sleeping with you. You cannot move unless you want to wake whoever is asleep on you. But it was worth it, to see John in this state; his eyes fluttering as he dreamed, his lips parting as he breathed, his soft snores, the twitching of his fingers and, the muttering that would occur every now and then. Basically, everything. Alex was happy to have his Johnny, and that was all that mattered at that moment: John Laurens.

*** *** *** ***

"John, wake up." Alex poked at his side's, trying to wake his friend up.

John groaned, burying his face more into the crook of Alex's neck.

"John." He whined, shaking him. "Wake up, Eliza is coming over today to talk to us about a specific topic."

"Why a 'specific topic', why so specific?" John mumbled, not moving an inch.

"It's because when she mentioned she wanted to have a chat with us about something, I suggested that we talk about how abnormal quills are. I mean, you dip a feather into squid juice and then you create symbols with just the tips of—"

"Alexander, stay on track."

"Oh, yes! Well she then replied 'I had a topic in mind, Alexander', and I just wanted to let you know it's a specific topic so you don't ramble on about your love for the color yellow, or something."

"You absolute flop." John laughed, shaking his head at Alexander's idiotic mistake. He paused, then looked up at Alexander. "What do you think she wants to talk to us about?"

"John, I know I'm no genius as I decided to talk about quills when Eliza had an actual topic in mind, but don't you think the answer is maybe a bit too obvious?"

John sighed, playing with Alexander's fingers. "How long have we been sleeping?"

Alexander shrugged. "What time is it?"

"Oh, let me check my magic watch and give you a satisfactory answer," John checked his invisible watch. "Wait a minute, I am not living in the 20th century."

"How is it even possible for there to be a watch on your wrist? Imagine a giant clock just hanging on your wrist. I mean, that's a lot of pressure, don't you think?" He paused, looking down at his hands being fiddled with. "John, your constant playing with my fingers is annoying me, so just hold my hand instead." He laced their fingers together, barely noticing how soft and small John's hands were.

John giggled, then forced Alexander's head down so he can finally reconnect their lips after hours, but he was interrupted by a knocking on the door.

Alex picked John up and sat him back down on the chair, leaving him behind to answer to door. John was surprisingly light for such a tall person. Although, he was smaller than Alexander.

He opened the door and welcomed the distressed Eliza into his home.

"I'd like to talk to you and Laurens, please. It's important."

*** *** *** ***

John was at Alexander's side, still listening to Eliza talk about what she had just walked in on the other day.

"I won't– I won't tell anyone. It is your privacy, and it can put you both in danger and ruin your career," She stated, taking a deep breath and fumbling with her fingers. "I don't know if–if you know this, but the other day, I walked in on you two making out on the couch."

John nodded sheepishly at this, while Alexander grabbed the letter he wrote and shoved it in Eliza's face.

"We knew," Alex stated, taking the parchment from Eliza after she had finished reading. "We were both worried that... that you were going to tell people because, as you know, it would put our lives in danger."

Eliza nodded, avoiding their eyes. "John, can I speak to you?"

John gave Alexander a quick glance and followed Eliza to the balcony.

"Don't hurt him."

"What? Why would I hurt him?" John asked, confusion written all over his face.

Eliza sighed, taking a step closer to John. "I'm not saying that you are, but... Alex has been through a lot, he's already a broken mess–"

"Not to mention a hot piece of ass." John muttered under his breath.

"Sorry, what?"

John shook his head, and waved at Eliza, gesturing for her to continue.

She gave him a suspicious glance, but continued anyway. "I've seen the way he looks at you. He– he really loves you." Eliza grimaced at her own words, then caught John's hurt glance. "I'm sorry, I really like him too, so it hurts to have to say that."

John nodded. "It's obvious."

A look of panic crossed her face. "R-really? Alexander doesn't know, does he?"

Noticing John's silence, she began to shake her head, taking a few steps backwards from John. "He knows? He can't know..."

"I'm sorry, Eliza."

She shrugged. "Anyway, he looks at you with... he has this look in his eyes. I don't know how to explain it, but there is so much adoration in his eyes. Alex really loves you." She took a deep breath, waiting for John to answer.

"I really love him too." John whispered, avoiding Eliza's eyes.

"Shall we go back inside?" Eliza asked, opening up the door for him.

John smiled and made his way into the house, followed by Eliza.