Chapter 20: The Seacomers

Robin

I flew along the corridor towards the Great Hall, dread and anticipation heavy in my stomach. A messenger had come from Regna Ferox with dire news, and Chrom had sent for me at once. Sumia was accompanying me, for she was now my guard. It was mandatory for every member of royalty to have one, and I'd always known who I would pick.

Only one other person had briefly crossed my mind for the job. She was walking on the other side of me, her red hair flying out behind her. Though she was sometimes too busy helping the pegasus knights, training, or learning to be a commander to follow me around, Cordelia liked to accompany us when she could. Usually it was to have a catch-up, but today we were walking in silence.

When we reached the Great Hall, it seemed everyone else was already waiting for us. Chrom, Frederick, Lissa, Calla, Merton, and Raimi were standing at the far end, each of them looking concerned. But as soon as Chrom's eyes fell on me, some of the worry lifted from his face. The air jumped between us, and when I reached his side he put his arm around my waist.

"All right," he said to Raimi. "Everyone is present now. Tell us what's going on."

She turned to me. "I have told Prince Chrom that Khan Flavia requests your presence at a summit as soon as you're able." She looked back at Chrom. "This is because our western neighbours of Valm are no longer acting so neighbourly. Emperor Walhart, who they name the Conqueror, has launched warships against us."

My high spirits from spending the morning with Lucina were extinguished. Dread settled over me.

"An invasion?" Chrom frowned. "Are you certain of this?"

"Yes, sire. Khan Flavia hopes to meet with you in Ferox, if it pleases you."

Chrom sighed. "This is ill business to be sure. We will meet with Flavia at once."

"Chrom –" I began.

"I know what you're thinking, Robin, but we owe Regna Ferox a great debt." He looked at me gravely. "I must apprise myself of the facts there before deciding on a course of action."

I smiled wryly. "I was actually going to suggest that we discuss strategy as we travel."

His eyes widened. "B-but Lucina is newly born! She needs her mother now."

"You told me House Ylisse has a tradition of wet-nursing, and you and Lissa turned out rather well from where I stand. Lucina is a strong child; she takes after her father. The Brand in her left eye proves it." I traced Chrom's own Brand of the Exalt with my fingertips.

"I'm not just worried about her," he replied, his voice softening. "I'd worry about you as well."

"All the more reason to keep me close at hand. Together we're more than we can be alone, remember?"

We stared at each other for a minute, both of us refusing to repent.

Eventually, Lissa sighed. "Aw, let her come, Chrom! You could use her strategic thinking, anyway."

Chrom dropped his gaze, his expression hesitant. I smiled, already knowing that I'd won.

"All right, Robin." He took my hand. "Just promise to stay safe. Lissa and I had Emm, of course, but we lost our parents when we were young. I want Lucina to grow up with her whole family around her."

"As do I. You have my word. Just..." I looked into his eyes. "Remember that means both of us."

Lissa snickered loudly.

"I'll send a message ahead to the khan, shall I?" Raimi asked.

She and Chrom stayed behind in the Great Hall to arrange that while the rest of us dispersed. Frederick and I went down to the Shepherds' garrison to inform the militia of our plans, and Sumia and Cordelia followed us. As always, we offered the mission voluntarily, but no one refused. Only one person was not present to consent: Virion, who had disappeared a few days prior on a mysterious trip of his own.