Chapter 24: Smouldering Resistance

Robin

We spent the rest of the afternoon planning our arrival in Valm Harbour, where we were due to anchor our ships in just over a day. Morgan had expressed great interest in joining our meeting, so I let him sit by me and listen. The first thing that caught my eye as he gleefully took his place was his sword and tome. He'd obviously tried to follow in my footsteps with a lot of dedication.

He listened intently during our meeting but said little. We mostly consulted our maps, made certain we had a clear understanding of Valm, and discussed various tactics we could possibly use to take the harbour. Of course, all depended on the situation we would be greeted with, but the high-ranking captains and commanders who were now travelling with us felt better if there was something on paper.

By supper, we had finished all that we needed to for the day. The quiet dining hall we had been working in quickly grew louder as the Shepherds arrived, then exploded into chaos when the children from the future entered.

They hesitated in the doorway as many curious eyes turned to them. Lucina was the first to collect herself and continue walking, and my heart swelled with pride as the other two instantly followed her. Even navigating dining tables, my daughter walked with majesty and grace. Always one step ahead of the others, she looked like a firm leader.

They collected their food and came to us. Severa branched away to sit with Cordelia and Stahl, a sour look on her face. Gerome paused. Lucina looked at the single empty chair opposite Chrom and me, then into the eyes of his mask. He turned away, taking a seat at the far end of the table.

Lucina sat down next to her brother with a hint of weariness, poking her soup with her spoon. I cleared my throat. "We could make room for Gerome if you wished, Lucina."

She looked up. "Thank you, Mother, but I think he would prefer to be alone. Coming back to this timeline has been very hard on him."

"It must have been hard for you as well," I said gently. "You left everything you knew behind. Then you came to a timeline where your parents were alive again, but you could not reveal yourself."

"It was hard," Lucina said quietly. "But Gerome didn't just lose his parents. He lost everyone. Cherche died when he was young, and he was left with no one but the Shepherds to be his family. Each one of you were parents, and you were so very dear to him. Then...he was abandoned once more." She ate a mouthful of soup and stirred the rest around in her bowl. "He initially refused to come back to the past. I think he is afraid that everyone will die and leave him again. As am I." She stilled her spoon and met my eyes. "I cannot believe what you believe, Mother, that there is no scripted fate. But I believe that we can try to change it. We must."

She lowered her eyes again, her face stricken. Despair burrowed into me. I wished that she hadn't seen a broken world and that I hadn't left her in it. She grew quieter as the meal went on until she lapsed into complete silence and left Morgan to make conversation with us.

Once we'd finished eating, Chrom and I lingered to clarify details with the captains at our table, and the Shepherds drifted out. Finally, when the room was almost empty, Gerome sat down at Lucina's side. He looked about as animated as anyone wearing a mask could be, but some energy returned to Lucina in his company. A little of my sorrow for her lifted as I watched them from the corner of my eye.

Eventually, only the four of us were remaining. Morgan had scampered off to read one of his tactical books, so, knowing that both of our children were content, Chrom and I left the dining hall and went back up to the deck.

It had been dark for a while now, and stars covered the sky like tiny jewels sewn into midnight silk. The ocean was blue once again, and it was almost impossible to see the horizon as the darkness of the sea and the sky merged. We stood at the rails, and Chrom wrapped his arms around me from behind so that I was cocooned in his warmth. I leaned against him, listening to the gentle waves rock us. We stood in comfortable silence for a long time.