Chapter 33: An Ill Presage

Lucina

Lucina did not see her parents again until the next morning when she joined them outside the castle to wait for the carriages that would take them to Plegia. Yesterday afternoon, Frederick had told her and the other Shepherds the news he'd given her parents about the location of the final Gemstone. She'd raced down to the library to speak with them herself as soon as she'd been dismissed, but when she'd got there, the door had been locked from the inside.

Her parents had not emerged until dinner, which was no place to ask about her mother's dreams, and then they had shut themselves in Chrom's study until well past dark. She had eventually given up on seeing them and gone to bed, feeling utterly alone and defeated.

This was finally her chance to ask what her mother had seen. She needed to know who her father's murderer was so that she could be prepared to kill them.

But she'd only just managed to exchange the morning pleasantries with her family when she caught sight of someone else she hadn't seen since yesterday afternoon. She froze.

His head was down again, but his mask was on this time. Yesterday she had begged him to stop wearing it. Now she was glad he hadn't listened. If he wished to talk about what had happened, as they needed to in order to avoid destroying their relationship at a time when they could ill afford it, perhaps it would be easier for her to accept his rejection like this.

He halted beside them, the set of his jaw giving nothing away. "Princess Lucina, may I speak with you alone?"

The title stung. Gerome had never been so formal with her in all his life.

Yet Lucina's heart still skipped a beat at his words. She would love to be alone with him – and they really did need to talk. But she had to speak with her parents, too, and urgently. This was the mission they had never come home from in her timeline.

She had to know who had killed her father.

"I'm sorry, Gerome," she began, moving closer to her mother in an effort to send him the clear signal that she was busy. "Perhaps it could wait until later? Only, I was just about to –"

Her mother placed a hand on Lucina's shoulder. "I know what you were about to ask. Go and speak with Gerome, and I will tell you later."

Lucina turned around. "But, Mother, what if there isn't a later? I must –"

"What if there isn't a later, indeed." Robin cast Gerome a thoughtful glance. "Chrom and I have everything in hand, so you needn't worry. Your soldier would like to speak with you, and if you believe there may not be a later then you'd best listen to him now."

Lucina swallowed hard. "Er...all right. Come, Gerome."

She retreated across the castle grounds, far enough to not feel her father's curious gaze or Frederick's suspicious stare. If Chrom had not turned down every offer of betrothal in her own timeline and made sure selfish men were not trying to woo her, his lieutenant certainly would have done. He had almost been as protective of her as he was of her father.

She knew why she'd never been married into another noble house. "Your mother and I have something special," Chrom had told her many times. "Monarchs rarely get to experience true love in their marriage. But times are changing. Both Lissa and I married for our feelings, not for politics, and I cannot tell you how happy it's made us. You, Morgan, and your mother are the only things I need in the world to keep me alive. So you will not wed for politics either, because I hope that one day you can experience a love like this. A love that can get you through anything. I want you to feel as happy as I do."