Chapter 4

By the time Alice was finally ready for school, she knew she was late. Alice hated being late. Like, two girls in middle school fighting over Zac Efron kinda hate. She was tempted to just skip first period so she wouldn’t have to walk in, everybody’s eyes on her. 

Maybe I could text Luke… She thought. He’d probably skip with me. Alice had to fight back a smile at the thought. She shook her head. She couldn’t do things like this. They’d only been on one date. One amazing date, but one date. Alice needed to keep her cool.

Finally Alice convinced herself to go to first period. It couldn’t be that bad. And besides if she did skip, and her mom found out, she would most likely get grounded.

Alice felt the beating of her heart quicken as she approached the school. When she got out of her car she took a deep breath in an attempt to relax. Alice looked at her phone to see she was already 41 minutes late. So much for being relaxed. She picked up speed as she ran into the school and to her locker. It only took Alice seconds to successfully get all of her books and head to class.

She didn’t want to run, but at this rate she would miss the whole period. Alice turned the corner and completely froze. Down the hall she could see Luke standing in front of row of lockers. He looked adorable, as usual. Then Alice noticed the blonde girl whose back was to Alice. She was engaged in what seemed to be a very heated conversation with Luke. Her body was almost gravitating towards Luke as they talked with coordinating hand gestures. Then, what appeared to be an unexpected reaction, the blonde girl grabbed Luke’s cheek and kissed him. Her stomach dropped. Oh, so I guess last night wasn’t as great as I thought. Alice thought to herself. She quickly got to her class before either of them noticed her presence.

As she walked in the room her teacher, Mr. Quibbly, glared at her.

“Sorry I’m late, I got lost on the way here.”

A collective laugh came from the majority of the class. Alice sat down so no one could notice her rosy red cheeks.

After opening her textbook to the assigned page, her thoughts drifted back to Luke. I don’t understand. I thought her really liked me. I mean, he kept staring at me. And he kissed me, not just once, but twice. I guess I’m just another girl. Nothing special. Alice sunk down in her seat feeling defeated. Whatever, he wasn’t that special either.  But she knew in her heart that wasn’t true.

*************************************************************************************

“Hey girl!”

Alice turned to see Scarlett approaching her locker.

“Oh, hi.” She looked back into her locker, eyes searching for her phone.

“Oh no. What’s wrong?” Scarlett asked, her voice full of concern.

“Nothing, why?”

Scarlett pursed her lips. “Alice, even though I’ve only known you a week I can tell something’s wrong.”

Alice didn’t say anything.

“Okay then… so why did you miss homeroom this morning?”

“I slept in. And then I was having a hair crisis. It was horrifying.”

“Well I’m glad it looks good now!” Scarlett tried to get a smile out of her.

“Yeah me too.”

“Did you miss first period then?”

“Kinda. I came in late and when I was walking to class-” Alice stopped.