10. Story time

Regina

When I wake up it's dark inside my room. Robin must have closed the curtains when he brought me to bed last night. One glance at my alarm clock on the nightstand tells me I slept longer than usual, almost until nine. I hear the shower running in the guest bathroom. Robin told me to call him whenever I want to get up, but I don't want to disturb his well earned shower now. I don't need his help, I can get up on my own and I'll prove it. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he sees me in the kitchen making breakfast. He placed my wheelchair not too far from the bed. Trying to reach it I turn onto my side and slowly move over the side of my bed using one arm to support my upper body. With the other hand I try to grab any part of the wheelchair to pull it towards me, but before I even reach it the arm supporting half of my body now gives in and I fall to the floor onto my side with a loud thump. I cry out in pain. It was surely loud enough for Robin to hear since it takes only seconds for him to run in my room and kneel by my side. His body is still wet from the shower and he only wears a towel. If I wouldn't be in so much pain I'd enjoy seeing him half naked, but now I can't focus on much. "Regina! What happened? Are you hurt?" Robin almost screams. "My ribs hurt a lot. I wanted to prove to you that I can get up without your help. I wanted to surprise you. I tried to reach my wheelchair, but I wasn't strong enough and I fell on my side. Help me up, please." I tell him between quick breaths nearly crying from the pain. The pain in my voice alarms him. He comfortingly rubs my back and says softly "Hey, it's okay. Calm down. You're gonna be fine. Breathe slowly in and 0ut.". Robin breathes with me and I begin to calm down. "I'll pick you up now, okay?" Robin asks me once I'm feeling slightly better to make sure I'm okay before moving me. I only nod since I can barely speak now. Carefully not to hurt me more he picks me up and lays me down on my soft bed. I can't stop a cry of pain from escaping my lips. I keep my eyes closed in pain. "I'll just put some clothes on really quick and then I'll be back at your side in a minute." Robin says and I nod again. It truely didn't take him more than a minute to get changed into some sweatpants and a T-shirt. Before he sits down on the bed next to me I ask "Can you get me some painkillers please? It hurts so much.". "I thought you'd say that. Here take this." Robin says handing me a pill and some water, which I gratefully take. He places the glass on the nightstand and sits next to me "Just to be on the safe side I'd like to take you to the hospital for a checkup. Just to make sure you're fine.". I panic at his words "No hospital! Please! No! Just call my doctor. I have her number in case of an emergency.". "Okay, okay I'll call her if it makes you feel better. Where is her number?" he asks me. "On a paper in my purse on the sideboard by the front door." I explain to Robin. He gets up, touches my shoulder and promises me "I'll call her and be right back at your side.". When he comes back in he says "I was able to reach her. She'll be here in about half an hour. What would you like to do until then?". "Can you tell me a story to distract me?" I ask. "Sure I can. Yesterday you asked me what Granny was taking about. It's not a nice story, but I'll tell you if you want." Robin offers me. "Please tell me. I'd like to know, but I understand if you're not ready to share it yet." I tell him honestly. I won't force him to talk about something he is not ready to share yet. "No no, it's alright. It helps to talk about it." he says before he tells me the story of his life about love, lots of happiness, his son, a terrible fate and pain. The love story of Marian and him begins just like Daniel's and mine. After he is finished I have tears in my eyes "I'm so sorry. It's horrible what you are going through. Thank you for telling me. I'm not ready yet to tell you about my story, but I promise you one day I will.". Robin has tears in his eyes as well "Thank you. I'll look forward to it. Talking will help you feel better.". In that moment the doorbell rings and he gets up to let Maura in.

Robin

I wait outside and prepare a late breakfast for us, hoping Regina likes waffles, while Maura examines her. I hope she is okay. If she injured herself in my presence I could never forgive myself and neither could her parents. When the batter is prepared and the fruit is cut I walk around a bit and explore the apartment further. It's nicely decorated with many little details, which clearly show Regina's female touch. There are several bookshelves in the living room catching my attention. I take another step towards one of of the shelves to look at her collection. I always found it interesting to see someone else's books, because the taste in books tells a lot about a person's personality. Regina owns quite a wide range of books starting with fantasy like J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and love stories by Jojo Moyes going over classics like Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and ending with thrillers by Kathy Reichs and Richard Castle's crime novels about detective Nikki Heat. She seems to be a dreamer and she most likely has a romantic side, but she is also self-confident and courageous. When she sets herself a goal she is determined to do whatever it takes to archive it. I have already noticed some of these traits and several more. I know she hates to accept the help she needs and rely on others, who can then see her weak side. I want to help her overcome these fears and show her that it's okay to be weak sometimes.