Chapter Three - Dinner for one?

The day went by quicker than Nora and Emily had thought. They finished their coffee and after that, Emily wanted to make some more pictures of the environment for Nora.

When Emily thought she had made enough pictures, they decided to go back home because it had gotten colder.

Nora could hear Emily's stern voice mixed with excitement in her head demanding her to keep the pictures, no matter what. She giggled while she parked her bicycle in the garden.

Her mother walked around the big hedge holding a folded cardboard box with an advertisement about moving out painted on it.

''Hey kid! What are you doing out there? I bet you were away with Emily, weren't you?''

Nora nodded as she put her bicycle more aside so her mother had a better reach for the garden shed.

''Thanks.'' She smiled slightly exhausted. ''I'm going to clean up the shed. It's one of the last chores I have to do in the garden. After that, I have to start packing our clothes, books, films and more in these folding boxes.'' She held the folded cardboard box high. ''So, what have you done today?''

''Nothing special, just a normal school day. But...'' Nora waited a few seconds to make her mother more curious.

''What is it? Tell me! You know I can't stand being curious,'' her mother said while bouncing up and down on her feet, not to stay warm in the cold breezes but because of her excitement.

Nora laughed. ''Let's go inside where it's warmer. That way it is easier to talk. I can't concentrate while you are jumping around like that.''

They went to the living room and sat down on the leather sofa.

''Emily wants to make this week as special as she can, so she made plans for us to do after school.'' Nora held up her shoulders nonchalantly. She couldn't stop thinking about Myles and as if her mother could read minds, she sensed something.

''Did you meet a boy today?''

''Mom, it's nothing, just a boy who served us coffee. Emily made a big deal out of it and I was the victim,'' Nora said with a low voice. She hoped her mother would stop. Her thoughts went about Myles over and over again and she really wanted to tell someone about it. Emily was not a good idea, she would make fun of it and she was going to date him as soon as Nora left the United States. Not that it bothered her; there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Her mother's curls were bouncing all over the place from curiosity.

''Nora, please! I'm your mother, I won't judge or something. If you don't want to tell Emily because she is a little tease, I understand that. But I can see something is on your mind. I actually thought you were still bothered by the migration to England...'' Her mother was sounding worried now. Nora thought it was a trick so she would open her mouth.

''Yes, there was a boy. His name is Myles and he works at the Starbucks. He has the most beautiful bluest eyes I've ever seen and he is tall, so if I were to kiss him, I will have to balance on my toes!'' She smiled broadly but then shut her mouth. Did she really say that? She had never kissed someone before.

Her mothers' eyes opened wider as she watched Nora's cheeks went red again.

''Ah! That is so cute,'' she said with a high pitched voice as if she was talking to a toddler.

Nora let out a deep sigh. She didn't like it when her mother acted like this.

''I do appreciate your interest in me on your day off, which is rare, but don't act as if I'm 10 years old. I know, I don't have experience with boys yet, but I'm eighteen. May I have fun for once? Just these last few days here with Emily, since we are leaving this weekend. Great timing, though.'' Nora said, feeling her happy vibe flowing away. Even though Emily was annoying sometimes, they had been friends for a long time and she always knew how to do something fun, even if it Emily was pushing her a little.