Chapter Ten - Exception

Her dress was spread out over her bed and Nora Coney was admiring the blue lace from above. It was shimmering softly in the dimmed light in her room. She took out her diary and wrote:

''Dear diary,

I went for a walk, as I wrote down earlier and I've found a marvellous dress. It's jet black and has dark blue lace on top of the shoulders and on the sides. It's not lace in a nude way, but in a pretty and elegant way. In the wrong light, it is barely noticeable, but the dress stays pretty.

I've tried it on in the store, but I would like to see what it looks like when I'm wearing it in a familiar place, like my room. It's also because I feel most comfortable in my bedroom. I'm going to put on the dress and make me some dinner with my dress on! I bet that'll look chic.

Well, I've tried it on and it still looks amazing. I even feel better in it than before because I'm feeling secure now, in my own room and I'm in a positive mood so that always helps. Now I have to think about what to cook for myself... I could make something that my parents can eat as well when they get home, if they are still hungry by then. I could also make myself a simple but healthy and delicious salad.

Hmm. I just heard someone outside. Perhaps it's my mom or dad. Maybe they are coming home at the same time. I hope they've taken pizza with them. I honestly don't want salad at the moment. It'd feel as if I'd need the salad to fit in the dress.

Whatever, I'm still curious and I'm feeling spied so I'll be going downstairs and turn down the volume of the radio. It's quite loud, but I'm still home alone so I can do what I want. Unless the neighbours are not in a friendly mood, but I don't think so. I've met them when we came here for the first time and they brought some food and drinks as a welcome present. This couple seemed nice and not old yet, even though they are in their forties. No, it couldn't possibly end up in a quarrel about the music. Especially when I'd open the door in my dress, making up an excuse. The excuse would be a girl's night.

Hmm. I'm curious now... On my way!''

''Who could it be?'' She hummed when she walked down the stairs. Then it struck her and she stood still. What if it is someone who wants to hurt her? A burglar? A creep? A stalker? Nora tilted her head and thought: It can't be possible to have a stalker, nope. I'm just going to peak through the hole in the front door and if there is nothing going on out there, I'll be making myself a salad.

And there she went again. The dress was a bit tight so she couldn't run up and down the stairs if she wanted to do so. She almost tumbled when she took the last step and cursed. The hallway was long and brightened by the lights that she'd turned on. Turn them off? It could be a good idea, so she walked to the light switch and back. She peeked through the hole but didn't see anything. She still heard something, though. While cursing softly she felt panic coming up form out of the tips of her toes. What to do now? She waited a few seconds and looked again. Still nothing to see, but her curiosity swells up like a balloon, ready to pop. ''Oh, whatever,'' she said to give herself some courage. Then she opened the door with a big swing. ''AHA!'' She yelled to nothing or no one in particular. She turned around on her heals and closed the door. She inhaled deeply, chuckled relieved and went to the living room to turn the music back on. She had heard enough recent hits so she searched for a channel with more classic rock hits. While she danced around for a moment with the upsweeping beats from the Rolling Stones, she tried to focus on her dress and her positive mood. She danced herself to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator with an arm swing and made a pirouette. She was making some tea and searched for the honey while humming along with the music when she heard a few knocks on the door. ''Oh god,'' she hissed. ''What now?'' She used the same tactic, by watching through the hole first. She saw a young man there, but only his silhouette. She hesitated for a moment but opened the door carefully. The feller looked up slowly and the light from inside glimpsed on his face. Nora couldn't recognise him yet, but when she opened the door a bit more, she could look him in his eyes. These eyes had been looking sad, the last time they made eye contact with hers.