Chapter Three

July 19th

I mute the television as I hear a knock on my door. 

"Coming!" I call before slowly pushing myself off the couch. 

As my body groans, my ribs send sharp pains throughout my side and my ankle screams in protest as I put weight on it. I limp over to the door and open it to find Elise standing with luggage. "Damn, that was quick." I smile and she shrugs before looking at my face. "Yes, I know I look awful." I roll my eyes as I step to the side and let her into the apartment.

"You can have the guest room. It doesn't have a bathroom but you can use the hall bath," I explain as I walk straight down the hall and turn to the first door on the right into the plain bedroom. "You'll have to get a comforter, but I think I have some extra sheets somewhere," I mumble on before turning to her. "Are you okay?" She sighs before a few tears gather into her eyes. I frown and hobble over to her before enveloping her in my arms.

"It'll be okay, you'll find someone new, and don't worry about finding a new place. You can stay right here as long as you need," I whisper into her ear before pulling back and rubbing her arms.

Her teary hazel eyes scan my face before she nods her head, unable to speak. I hug her to me again and this time she hugs me back.

"Thank you, Camila," she returns finally and I sigh, giving her a little squeeze that sends pain through my body.

"You're welcome," I say before pulling back and showing her the rest of the apartment.

***

"Do you mind if we stop by the cemetery before going to Check?" I ask Elise while putting an earring in.

"Is the burial for Ms. Simmons today?"

"Yeah, Kyle called this morning," I add over my shoulder.

"Should you be wearing those?" She kinks and eyebrow at my heels.

"It's just a sprain, I'll be okay. Does my makeup look okay? I tried my best to cover the bruises." 

We walk to Elise's car, seeing it's an old model mustang.

"You look fine. You can barely see them." 

I nod and she starts up the car.

We stop outside the local cemetery, and I wait patiently as she puts quarters into the meter.

"Just so you know, I'm checking you out," I comment as she walks in front of me. She laughs and throws a smile over her shoulder before stopping and waiting for me to catch up. We get there just as the burial is starting.

"I'm going to go find my father's grave, will you be okay?" I whisper to Elise and she nods. I only have to walk a little way before I find the headstone. I walk towards it and bend down to wipe off the dust and grime on his name and dates.

"I should have brought flowers," I mutter, looking at the portrait. He's smiling and dressed in his uniform. I smile and stand, looking over the graves next to him. I gasp, moving to his left side to look at the stone.

Karla Camila Cabello

October 31, 1997- September 13, 2017

I read it before bending down and taking hold of the bouquet of daisies. They weren't wilted, so whoever brought them did so only a day or two ago. Why did I have a headstone? I run a hand through my hair before I put the flowers back down. I walk back over towards Elise, looking back towards the grave once more before I run into something hard, and I groan in pain as it takes hold of me.