Chapter Five

August 11th

I'm lounging in my white armchair sipping on a steaming cup of coffee, the soft rain outside hitting my window pane making for a cozy evening. I pull my bare legs up to my chest and look at the wall in front of me. Various red pieces of string are attached to pictures, looking like a spider web. I look to see one red line connected to Ally and a picture of Check, along with the words "bag of money" written underneath. I take another sip as my eyes follow the string to images of the pieces of the game of chess. Ally mentioned a Rook, a King, and a Pawn. If that's the case, there is also a Bishop, a Knight, and a Queen. My eyes widen as I realize something. Bishops handle money. Ally handles money. I stand up from my seat to pin the Bishop piece under Ally's picture, and I smile to myself as I'm one step closer. Chess isn't just one person. It's a network.

I look to the left to see a blown up map of Seattle, marking the two murders with pins. Are they connected? I think to myself, but it still doesn't explain the chess piece found in the victim's mouth. I look above the map to see the playing card I received at last night's game night. All that is underneath it is a big question mark. Just as I take another sip, I hear a door open down the hall.

I look over my shoulder to find a fresh-faced Elise walking into the living room. She heads straight for the kitchen with a groan while she makes her own cup of the brew. After she makes it to her liking, she walks over to the couch. She stops halfway to her destination, coffee cup to her lips when she notices the intricately woven web on the wall.

"Holy shit, what is that?" she asks coming closer to the map, touching one of the red strings.

"I do this when I can't sleep," I admit.

"You do what? Play Sherlock Holmes?"

"Well, I am a detective."

Elise ignores my comment to continue looking at the map. Once she was satisfied with her findings, she turns back towards the couch but not before looking out the window at the street.

"Uh, Camila, not to be the bearer of bad news, but have you looked outside recently?"

I look at her confusingly before making my way over to the window, looking out to see a black Mercedes parked in front of my apartment with a cliché red bow on top.

I look to Elise who is standing wide eyed. 

"You don't think she'd..." I let myself trail off, but in my mind I say: yeah, she would. I rush into my bedroom to throw on some clothes and shoes before running out the door with Elise close behind.

I get to the car to find a card stuck underneath the windshield wiper, pulling out the rain-spotted stationary and opening it.

Mani said you didn't have one –Lauren

I roll my eyes as I shove the card against Elise's chest before angrily ripping the bow off of the top, discarding it into the middle of the street.

"Aw, that's so cute of her," Elise smiles.

"Get in," I demand. Elise hurriedly follows suit and opens the door to sit on the black leather seat.

"You want me to drive?" Elise asks as she looks over at me.

"What are you—damn it!" I hit the empty dash realizing the car is imported, and I've gotten in on the wrong side of the car. Elise and I quickly trade places, and once I find myself in front of the wheel, I frown.

"Where are the damn keys?" I ask, searching the car. Elise pauses my hands from the search before leaning over the console and pressing the "push to start" button by the steering wheel. I huff out of annoyance before putting the overly expensive car in drive and pulling off of the sidewalk.