Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Vic's POV)

I woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. I had no idea when I fell asleep, how, and what I dreamt of, I just know it was horrible. I finally caught my breath and looked to see that the candles had gone out, except for one that was sitting in the center of the coffee table. It sent an eerie, warm glow across the living room, making shadows dance across the walls.

I looked over and saw Ace fast asleep, rolled one his side and breathing gently with his hair a mess from rolling around and his clothes twisted around him as he seemed to be snuggled close under the blanket. Glancing over at Rex, I saw he too was curled up tightly, holding the blanket against him.

It took me a moment to realize that it really was cold. I shivered and shoved the blankets back. I had to change. These pajamas just weren't warm enough, and neither were my guests. There had to be more blankets around here somewhere.

I rose quietly, grabbing my flashlight and lighting the way up the stairs as I went to fetch more blankets. I changed into a turtleneck and slipped on a sweatshirt with two pairs of sweatpants before coming back downstairs, carrying another pile of blankets I'd stashed in my bedroom closet.

I placed them on the edge of the sofa Ace slept on as I unfolded one and gently laid it over him. I hesitated, though, watching him sleep.

Oh, don't be disgusting, Vic. A voice in my head hissed at me, making me wince. Don't sit there and watch him. It's over. He doesn't like you, he never will. But look on the bright side! You still have Blake, Rick, Danny, and Devin... For another year or so. I tried not to groan and shook my head, quickly ducking away from him and walking over to Rex.

I unfolded a blanket and laid it over him. I gasped, however, when I felt his hands take mine.

"Rex?" I asked, surprised. I could've sworn he was asleep. Rex smiled sleepily up at me., his thumbs gently brushing across my knuckles. I felt goose bumps fly across my skin, my breath catching in my throat.

You're kidding me.

"You look so cute tonight, Vicky. Your hair's all messy and you're all bundled. Are you cold?" He asked. He sounded drowsy. Was he still half asleep? I gently tugged my hands away from his, rubbing them together only to have him reach out and take them again.

"Sorta." I admitted uneasily.

"You can crawl under the blankets with me, it's nice and warm." He winked playfully at me and I scowled, jerking my hands away to shove them into the pockets of my sweatshirt.

"Quit screwing around. Go back to sleep, the power's still out... I'm going to try calling the boys again, can I see your cell?" I asked. Rex studied my face in the dimly lit room for a while, his green eyes almost glowing with something I couldn't place before he nodded and reached into his pocket, taking it out and handing it to me. I nodded my thanks and left the living room, walking into the kitchen as I dialed Rick's number.

"Did you know it's bad luck to wake a tiger up?" Rick greeted me hoarsely. I could tell I'd just woken him up, which I know for a fact was one of his pet peeves, but I had to relieve some of my nervousness.

"Sorry," I apologized, "Are you guys still all right? Is the power still off there? How's your brother doing? The twins?" I heard shifting and Devin mumbling sleepily in the background. I felt a smile tug at my lips when I heard Rick softly telling him to go back to sleep.

"Yea, we're fine, Vic. Man, you worry too much. Nah, the guy turned the generator on, so we still have electricity. Thank God, it's horrible outside. And meathead is sleeping somewhere upstairs with Danny. Devin's down here with me." Rick explained, sounding exhausted.