Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Ace's POV)

"Do you really think this is such a good idea?" Vic asked me for the millionth time as we stood in his kitchen- our kitchen- whatever you wanted to call it. I set my mug of coffee down to look at him as he shifted uneasily, his eyes watching the snow fall outside.

He looked cold, folding his arms tightly over his chest and he only wore the Black Sabbat t-shirt and a pair of pajama pants. His hair was a mess from rolling around in bed. I could probably stare at him all day, but his nephews were at the table just a few feet away and I wasn't about to make this situation anymore awkward than it already was.

"Yes," I answered, "Cherri invited us and it'd be rude to turn her down."

"I'd figured she'd hate me after what happened."

"No. She was ecstatic when she called to say everything was ready. She just needs help cooking and moving the furniture."

"Do you want to go?" Vic asked me after a while, his dark eyes studying me curiously. I didn't say anything at first. I didn't quite know what to say. Part of me was nervous about seeing Cherri again, especially at a Christmas party. It didn't help that my mother insisted on attending and I still hadn't come up with a way to explain my divorce with Cherri and the fact that I was now dating a man. She was probably going to have a heart attack. However, another part of me was happy that Cherri had accepted what was happening. She didn't hate me for my choice.

All she had said was "I hope you can be happy now" before I dropped her off at her house the other night. She hadn't meant it rudely or anything. She said it smiling, gave me a kiss, and went inside.

"Yes." I said at last, nodding as I went for my coffee. Vic smiled, relaxing as I sipped my coffee. I had the itching sensation to just put my coffee down and hold him against me again. I felt like I could do that all day, but again, his nephews still hadn't gotten used to the idea, especially Rick.

"Do we have to go? Can't we just have another thing here?" Rick asked in irritation, pausing to cough into the crook of his arm. Despite his constant complaining, I was glad he could get out of bed again without falling or fainting. The past two days he'd spent sleeping probably helped and he was still on his medication.

"Rick, stop complaining and eat your breakfast, and yes, we do." Vic replied as he went to the fridge to grab some milk for his cereal. Rick scrunched up his nose in distaste, twirling his fork through his eggs.

"Fantastic. If you guys ruin it by throwing a big hissy fit, I'm taking Devin and we're leaving."

"Couldn't agree more," Blake muttered, then leaned over the back of his chair to glance at me, "You don't think your mother would make a big huge scene about everything that's happened, do you?"

I honestly had no idea how to answer that. My mother wasn't known for being particularly thoughtful of others and if something horrified her, she'd let you know right away. She'd probably make a big deal out of it and I couldn't blame her. I probably got my clinginess to the past from her because without a doubt, she still hated homosexuals after what my father had done and it made my stomach churn to think what she'd do when she found out about me.

However, I was fully prepared whether she'd accept me or hate me. The latter was more probable, but I wasn't going to let that effect my relationship with Vic. I still felt some awkwardness because of how we got together and that Vic was still uneasy about my feelings for Cherri.

And I understood that. I still liked Cherri, but there was a reason I chose Vic over her.

I loved Vic.