Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Vic's POV)

"Ughh..." I sighed at Rick's deep, pained moan as he buried his face against his pillow, breathing heavily. His forehead on fire with a fever, his cheeks flushed and sweat forming down the sides of his face. I set the NyQuil on the tray that I had laid out on the dresser before picking up a glass of water and holding it out to him.

"Here, drink as much water as you can." I said, but Rick turned his face away into the pillow.

"I want my beer." He grumbled into the pillow. I rolled my eyes and set the water down.

"You're not getting any beer for quite a while now. You have the flu. That's what you get for having such terrible hygiene and staying out late in the cold. You're lucky Devin didn't get sick and he's spending the day with his mother." I chided as I picked up the tray.

"Tell Devin to come back here." Rick grunted, peeking at me past the blankets that he'd pulled up to his head. I sighed.

"No, Rick. Just lie there and sleep. I'm heading into town to pick up some more tea and supplies. If you need anything, let Blake know. He's just across the hall, and damn it, Rick, don't hesitate." I added sternly, watching Rick mutter something before the heavy dose of NyQuil seemed to hit him and he slumped on the bed, fast asleep.

I relaxed, watching him for a second.

It seemed like only yesterday he was ten-years-old with the flu and Blake was crying because I had found out. Apparently if they'd gotten sick back at home, they'd get in trouble for it. I never understand that. Rick had insisted he was fine, but bringing him to the doctors proved he had a fever. Blake thought I was going to 'throw Rick in the closet' as he put it- I never, ever asked what that meant and to this very day, I didn't know, nor did I want to.

"He's not sick!" Blake had insisted, his little hands fisting in my sweatpants while Rick coughed and panted, rubbing his throat as he sat on the edge of the doctor's bed.

"Yes, he is, Blake," I had told him gently, "But he won't be for long, all right? He'll get better. I promise. The doctor's going to give him some medicine to make him all better." Blake's blue eyes had welled with tears.

"Uh uh."

"Cut it out, Blake." Rick managed between coughs and Blake had whirled on him to start arguing about what would happen if he was sick, but Rick kept telling him to calm down.

Even now, Rick was hesitant to let me know if he was sick. I usually had to find out about it myself.

And looking at Rick now, it was almost hard to believe he was twenty-five. Tall, dark, and handsome with a pair of shocking blue eyes and a body that could take down any karate master. He looked so small again, just lying there on his mattress and covered with thick blankets and his pillow almost hiding his head as he snored softly.

I smiled faintly and stepped out, shutting the door behind me to see Blake leaning on the wall outside.

"Jeez," I muttered, "Don't scare me like that." Blake rolled his eyes and pushed off the wall.

"Is he all right?" Blake asked. I let out a long breath before pursing my lips and nodding.

"He just needs lots of rest and he drank enough NyQuil to keep him down for more than half the day." I answered. Blake nodded slowly and dropped his arms. I watched his posture relax and I smiled at him.

"He'll be fine. I told him to come to you if he needs anything," I added, watching him just shrug, "Well, anyway. I'm gonna head into town and grab some things. Do me a favor and check on him every so often?"