Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Vic's POV)

My whole body ached from forcing myself to stay seated in the chair, listening to the sounds of beeping and people talking all around me, but none of it really making any sense. It felt like I was stuck in an airport with foreigners or something. And my head ached something terrible as I rubbed my temples, trying not to cry.

I was sick with worry and the coffee Blake kept bringing me wasn't exactly helping it, but it was keeping me wide awake as I stared at the floor.

"Vic," Blake said from beside me and I just barely registered his voice, glancing at him past my hair, "He's been in there for hours... It's almost eight." He looked about as distraught as I did. I sat up a little, rubbing my hands across my face for a second before nodding slowly.

"I know, Blake..."

"Can I call Devin now? He's gonna freak if we don't." Danny said softly. I nodded and Blake handed Danny his cell phone. Danny leapt up and dialed the number, pacing as he waited. I looked at Blake, who looked back at me.

"He was running a fever... He was fine when I checked on him while you were gone, I swear. He was still sleeping." He managed. I blinked when I realized what he was trying to say and reached out, patting his shoulder.

"Blake, it's not your fault. Rick was already sick and I believe you, but he must have woken up shortly before I came home. At least we got him here now and the doctors are doing something about it." I replied. Blake still looked stricken, but said nothing as he looked away, only to jump when Danny shouted.

"Ow, Devin! That's my ear you're screaming into! Yea... I know! Yes, same hospital... He's been in there for about six hours or so... Yes. Okay.... Ugh, yea, all right. See you soon," Danny hung up and handed Blake his cell phone back and plopped in the chair beside him, "Devin's on his way here, our dad's giving him a ride."

Suddenly, I felt like I had punched in the gut.

Dear God. I had been so wrapped up in my problems, sucked into useless drama that I could've easily avoided and this whole time, Rick was probably sick and I just didn't notice it until recently and now that carelessness has gotten him hospitalized.

Again.

I clamped a hand over my mouth, swallowing another flow of tears and blinking them away quickly as I felt the heavy weight of guilt almost crush me.

"Don't cry, Vic." Blake said under his breath. I blinked and glanced at him, feeling the dull ache of that lump in my throat as I kept trying to swallow it. I just nodded in return and kept staring at the floor, feeling achy all over again.

I needed more coffee. Lots of coffee... But at the same time, I just wanted to flop into bed and die.

This was my fault.

I was careless. I wasn't keeping an eye on him. Sure, he was grown enough to deal with these things himself, but it didn't matter how old he would get. I'd still be his guardian and he'd still be my little nephew and the more I thought about it, the more it hurt.

Not more than half an hour later, Devin showed up. He was running down the hallway and almost slammed into a nurse, sweat running down his face as he looked at us, horrified.

"Where is he? Is he all right? Did you get to see him yet? What's wrong?" He managed to ask rapidly, smashing together this questions into one sentence. Danny and Blake stood up and went to tell Devin what they knew. I felt another pang as I watched Devin's eyes glitter, but he was strong and kept his tears at bay, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists.

I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to go somewhere private.

I got to my feet and told Blake I'd be right back. He nodded slowly, cautiously and watched me until I disappeared around the corner. I went down the hall toward the bathroom and was just about to turn the corner to go there when I smacked into a familiar strong, broad chest. I blinked and stepped back quickly, looking up to see Ace staring at me.