Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Vic's POV)

I woke up a second time to talking downstairs and the lights shining brightly in my face. I blinked and sat up, rubbing my eyes sleepily as I heaved myself out of bed. Thank goodness, the power was back on. I couldn't afford tripping again.

I shuffled downstairs to see Ace fast asleep on the sofa and Rex watching some teenage soap opera about a bunch of kids living with vampires. I rolled my eyes and quietly went to the kitchen to pick up the phone. I glanced out the window, grimacing at the thick blanket of snow that entirely hid the back porch and the two cars I kept in the backyard. I dialed Rick's number first.

"I swear, you call more than an angry ex." Rick groaned into the receiver. I huffed.

"Don't start, Rick. It's too early for me to put up with your whining."

"Well, sorry. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Rick snorted. I sighed, rubbing my temple gently as I leaned on the counter.

"Sorry, Rick. I'm just... not feeling well. Listen, is it possible for you to come home now? Are the roads plowed yet? I just woke up and I have no idea." I said. I listened to crackling and shuffling in the background as well as Danny's voice cursing. I swear, he cursed more than a sailor and part of me was itching to wash his mouth out with soap.

"Yea," Rick said after a while, yawning before he continued, "Looks like they came through a while ago. We're getting ready to leave, don't wait up. The roads are still crap."

"Drive slowly and take your time. I want you guys to be very careful."

"Yea, yea, I know. See ya."

"Bye." I hung up and sighed with relief, then dialed the number for the tow truck company.

I just wanted everyone to leave. I was tired, even after all the sleep. I just wanted everything to go back to the way it was, even if it wasn't perfect. At least it was more comfortable that how things were going now. I hung up and went to the living room to see that Ace was awake now, sitting up with the blankets wrapped around him. Rex was ignoring him swiftly, his feet propped up on an end table.

"The tow truck should be here soon to pick up your car, Ace." I said. Ace blinked and looked up, just now realizing I was in the room. He nodded slowly, pushing the blankets off.

"All right." He rose to his feet and adjusted his clothes before looking at me. He said nothing, though, and I just looked away. Rex didn't turn off the television, but got up and stretched his arms over his head, smiling sleepily.

"Well, I ought to head home. Coco probably misses me and I need to check in on my business," He went to the door and I just automatically followed, "It was great seeing you again, Vic. Maybe I'll stop by the shop sometime this week to see how you're doin'."

"All right," I said, forcing a smile, "Drive safely." Rex flashed a charming grin, glanced back at Ace and cocked a brow before he leaned toward my ear. I felt a chill go through me, but I blamed it on the open door as Rex breathed near my ear.

"I still love you, but I'm not going to jump you. I'm sorry about what I did earlier. If being friends is all we can be, I'm okay with that. Your happiness is what's important to me and that's all," I felt my face heat as he kissed my cheek, "See ya later, Vic. Ace." He grinned and waved before shoving his hands into his pockets and trudging through the snow outside. I didn't close the door until he got into his truck safely and pulled out of the driveway, his wheels throwing snow across the yard.

I finally shut the door and looked at Ace, who was biting his lower lip.

"Sorry if that made you uncomfortable." I deadpanned. Ace blinked and his cheeks seemed to tint pink, making my heart ache again. I wish he'd stop that. Seeing a big tough guy like him blush just made my stomach do flip flops.