14 - Everett - 11:00 PM

I stare at Isaac's bruised, tired face as he makes his statement.

"I buzzed Sophie's apartment but she didn't answer. Apartment 4B. It was seven o'clock." Isaac says to Officer Quintana while another officer scribbles in a small notepad. "The door to the lobby was open so I just let myself in. I heard a scream come from above, through the open staircase, and I thought it sounded like Sophie. I wasn't sure, but I ran up there anyway. When I got to the third floor there was a guy, dark skin, Hispanic, with jet black hair. He was tall, like me. He was walking down the stairs calmly, but with an angry face, and I asked him if he heard the scream."

Isaac pauses and gazes down at his hands as Officer Quintana lowers the volume of the radio clipped to his hip. It sounds as if someone is specifically calling to him through the static. He urges Isaac to continue.

"I think he jumped at me with a knife or something. I put up my arm and it hit hard. We rolled down the stairs. He was coming at me. I just fought him off, but when he started running I chased him. I wasn't thinking clearly. I just wanted to kick his ass, you know."

Officer Quintana nods. "Go on."

"I caught up to him on the first floor, in the lobby, and he slammed me down on my arm. He stomped on it and I think that's when I passed out. I remember waking up to Sophie screaming. This time I was sure it was her. I went back upstairs to see if she was okay. I didn't even notice my arm was broken up until I got to the fourth floor. I couldn't pick her up, so I slung her arm around my shoulder and helped her down the stairs. She was crying and holding her side, saying she was stabbed. By the time we got to the first floor, the lobby was full of people. She passed out on the first-floor landing. I couldn't pick her up. I sat there with her, with my hands on her side, pressing. I didn't want to stop pressing down on her wound, even though people were pulling on my arm, probably trying to help me out. I thought if I stopped pressing, then she might die."

Officer Quintana nods again.

"You saved her life," I state proudly, hoping to calm the fear in his eyes.

"Is she all right?" Isaac asks.

"Is that all that happened? Can you think of anything else?" Officer Quintana asks without addressing Isaac's inquiry.

"People started helping us. Someone gave me a blanket and I pressed it against Sophie's body. When the paramedics arrived they took her away and someone helped me to an ambulance parked outside. Is she okay? Can I see her?"

"Not yet. We're collecting all the accounts first, including hers. Then maybe you can see her."

Isaac's forehead wrinkles. "Maybe?"

"They think you may be involved." I say, momentarily glowering at Officer Quintana.

"What?" Isaac says, adjusting himself in his bed. "Why? I had a date with her. I met her last Friday. We were-"

Officer Quintana interrupts, "We don't think you're involved. It's a matter of finding out all the facts first before letting anyone see Sophie. You seem to be cleared, but we have to get Sophie's account first, unless you can have someone close to her who can vouch for you."

Isaac shakes his head, "There's no one. This was our second date."

"Well, then we're just going to have to wait for her statement." Officer Quintana says as his phone rings. "Excuse me." He leaves Isaac's bedside and heads for the emergency room exit.

"This is bullshit." Isaac grunts as he sits himself up on the hospital bed. "Why would I do this to Sophie?"

To my own surprise, I reply in the detective's defense, "He's just doing his job. He wants to make sure you had nothing to do with it first, for Sophie's sake."