18 - Everett - 7:00 AM

Something taps me on my nose, repeatedly, like a button. I open my eyes and see Aryana smiling mischievously with her index finger stretched out, the tip aimed right between my eyes. She giggles when I cross my eyes inwards. I roll backwards on the bed to find Jubilee asleep, facing the window, unaware that her daughter is wide awake at seven in the morning.

I place my finger over my lips. Aryana nods and sneaks out of the bedroom, tiptoeing like the Pink Panther walking on egg shells. The floor creaks under my feet as I follow her closely to the kitchen. Once we reach the counter, Aryana turns around abruptly and covers her mouth with her hands.

"Do you normally wake up before your mom?" I ask in a whisper, with my voice pitched higher than normal.

"No." She giggles.

"Do you want something to eat?"

Aryana lifts her head high and then lowers it as far down as her neck allows in an amusing, overstated nod. I swing open several cabinets until I find Corn Flakes, Froot Loops and Cheerios. I take out two plastic, flower-painted ceramic bowls and fill one with Froot Loops for Aryana and one with Corn Flakes for me. Aryana sits herself up on a stool at the counter and swings her legs happily as I pour the milk into her cereal. Wearing her pink pajamas covered in glittery hearts, bouncing with each swing of her feet, and humming what sounds like a music box melody, Aryana seems unaffected by the events from last night.

We munch away and chuckle at the crunching noises we make. I stuff my mouth with more cereal than socially acceptable, just so I can make a silly, disgusting face for Aryana. She cackles, shows off a gap in her front teeth, and covers her mouth to muffle the laughter. We spend the next thirty minutes eating our breakfast this way. I check and respond to emails on my phone while Aryana either smiles or giggles after each spoonful, for no particular reason.

I had turned off the sound on my phone last night before going to sleep, and missed a dozen calls from Isaac. I reply to a text he sent earlier this morning.

Isaac: Can you find out how Sophie is doing? Doctors won't tell me anything, and I can't go see her because I'm not family. There's a cop outside my room, watching me.

Everett: She was in pretty bad shape last night. Knife went thru to her intestines, she has a risk of infection. We can only go in for five minutes to see her.

Isaac: You saw her?

Everett: No, I was with Jubilee when she spoke to the doctor. I'm with her now. I'll know more when we go to the hospital.

Isaac: Jubilee? Good for you bro. Call me when you can.

I recall what the emergency room doctor said last night, about how Isaac saved Sophie's life and how the first twelve hours are the most critical. I'm sure the hospital would have called Jubilee if anything changed. Her phone was silent all night...no news is good news.

After we finish our cereals, Aryana jumps down from the stool, runs to the television stand, and returns with the remote control.

"Can you put on SpongeBob SquarePants please?" she asks innocently.

"Does your mom let you watch TV before going to school?"

"Yes." She answers immediately, with a huge smile across her face that makes me believe she might be stretching the truth. I turn on the television anyway and flip through the channels.

"I don't know that show, but you just tell me when to stop. Let's keep the volume low, so we don't wake up your mom, okay?"

"I'm awake," Jubilee says as she walks into the living room. "And did you tell him you watch TV before school? You little liar!" Jubilee runs to Aryana and starts tickling her in her belly. After a few seconds, Aryana begs her to stop and they both stand up, taking deep breaths to control their laughter. "Come on, Chipmunk, let's go get dressed."